Backing up on new PC

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Nolimitt, May 4, 2013.

1. Nolimitt macrumors newbie

I want to back up and from now on sync and use iPad with my new PC but I'm afraid if I connect it to itunes it will delete all my data from ipad or something like that. I really hate itunes and wish I didn't have to install it so I'm trying to get as much as information as I can.

I do have media folder from music backed up along with apple computers one that is like 40gb big for me, but I'd rather not use them if I can and make fresh new backup. (with all data stored on ipad ofc, comics, books, apps etc)

I think this should happen: I install itunes, connect ipad, it asks me to back up, I do and it transfers everything to new PC and all is great. But I do not want to risk it just formatting my ipad or something like that because I've read a lot of posts that are not reassuring.

What do?

2. RadDave macrumors regular

RadDave

Hi Nolimit. - welcome to the forum! :) First, your description above is confusing, so a need for clarification - Second, you need to explain your PC vs. Apple issues and that 40 GB of presumably music?

SO, I'm assuming that you had an iPad backed up to an Apple computer, and had 40 GB of 'media' (thus, you must own a 64 GB iPad?) - you now want to transition this iPad over to a PC computer - correct? I'll stop there because your situation is confusing to me and needs more specific details - :)

3. Nolimitt thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry about the confusion, wrote the post when I was really tired.

Most of it is comics (that would be too hard/annoying to re-download) then music, apps, books etc, and I do have 64 gb first gen ipad.
    I do not have apple computer just PC with windows (hence my annoyance with iTunes because it installs a lot of things that you can't remove just so I can transfer/backup and I like to keep things minimal).

So what I did was built a new PC and formatted old HDDs and now I have to install itunes again and I want to sync my iPad with this new PC, make backup of it and just use it as always, start transferring things again etc. My worry is if I connect it it will not recognize it, start deleting my files or something like that, came upon a lot of conflicting information so I need to be sure, and I really need to transfer some things over now.

Also I did keep backup folders from before just in case but I might not need them if I can make fresh backup without issues and I'd prefer that.

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Here's an article that explains how iTunes stores your data, and how to transfer that from one computer to another.
    http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/moving-your-itunes-library-to-a-new-hard-drive/

Hope you have the proper folders backed up!

If you don't transfer your iTunes library to your new setup, when you connect your iPad to your computer, iTunes will think it is connecting to a new iPad, and it will not allow you to transfer any music or videos from your iPad to your computer. There are various other categories of stuff that might or might not transfer, but the simplest thing to do is just carry the iTunes library from one computer to the next when you get a new computer.

I know iTunes can be annoying, and it insists on doing things its way. In the end, I've found the easiest way to deal with it is learn how it does stuff, and do it their way. Fighting it just makes your life harder. ;)

5. boilerPete macrumors newbie

boilerPete

Wow, thanks for the article. It looks I have been transferring things wrong for years.