backing up original dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by awylde, Jan 22, 2009.

1. awylde macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have a variety of original purchased DVD's (Asian, US and European about 150 in all). I am in the process of backing up all my DVD's to an external hard drive as I have had couple a corrupt and had to rebuy them. I am using Mac the ripper, but I have come across a couple of films so far that will not rip (green mile, ultraviolet). the message is:
    "Dummy VOB warning, The VOB indicates it was mastered with deliberate bad sectors."

I have no idea what this means but it gives two options: delete or pob the sectors. I have tried both, but when I go to preview the film to it will not play. (in quick time or vlc)
    I just would like to back up my films in case others get damaged.

hope you can help
    many thanks in advance

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. awylde thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    I have tried the link and downloaded mac the ripper 3 and still no joy just keeps crashing.
    if you know of any software free or for purchase which can back up my dvds including encrypted ones i woud be much appreciated

many thanks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you had read all the posts, you would have seen this one.

5. awylde thread starter macrumors newbie

HI
    thanks for getting back to me. I have handbrake and have used it with no problem for myself converting my dvd's to use on my ipod but not for making dvd back ups so i can burn them back on to a dvd to play on my dvd player, if the originals get damaged eg. kids dvds as i have a couple not play as damaged so had to rebuy them.
    I must admit i am fairly new to macs so forgive me if I do not understand. and again any help is always appreciated

thank you in advance