Backing up OS X: Also need to back up XP on a partitioned HD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Melrose, May 11, 2010.

1. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

Hey guys..

my parents are having some trouble with their 20" iMac, and the Mac support, after trying to troubleshoot, say the last resort software option to fix the problem is to wipe and reinstall the OS.

My question is, dad's also got Windows XP installed, as a separate partition. Do I worry about backing this up as well? I'm thinking yes, obv, to be on the safe side, then: How do you back up a partition not running OSX?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As far as I have read in several similar threads, you don't need to back up the Boot Camp partition, but to be on the safe side, you can use WinClone to make an image of the BC partition which you can later use to restore it.

3. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

if you clone it use antivirus programs to make absolute sure ite malware free , windows is catching everything , no need to backup a already infected os i would say use acronis true image
    http://www.acronis.com/
    and mac support is for products from apple ..and windows is not made by apple

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's why the OP called Apple, as the problem is concerning Mac OS X, which is made by Apple.

But maybe that was meant sarcastic in some way...

5. MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

yes you got it ,thats why you need seperate software to backup windows

on the other hand thats why i prefer my windows xp which i use sometimes every half year to be emulated under osx then i just clone ithe entire hdd with CCC job done

this dual boot thing has its drawbacks as you need to know how to handle not only one OS , you need to handle 2 OS seperate

but no matter how the cloning/backup should be done before a problem occurs not after

6. Stan Mikulenka macrumors 6502

Hi,
    here is my back-up of the win7 partition with WinClone:

Attached Files: