Backing up OWNED commercial DVDs

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleedmytears, Dec 19, 2010.

1. bleedmytears macrumors newbie

Hi all,
    I have a few DVD's that ive recently bought and I like to back mine up as they get scratched and the like all too often in my house. I have Parellels running XP on my computer (I tried using mactheripper, but it hasnt worked for many to date) and I have dvdshrink and dvd decryptor on parallels.... however I cant seem to use them as they cant see the dvd i put in as it is a "virtual drive" ive tried going into my computer and selecting the dvd from the mac drive but that doesnt seem to work either.

how to i get to be able to 'see' and use dvd's, cd's and the like in parallels? I dont want to keep buying new copies of my dvds everytime they get scratched from overuse and the like!

cheers
    Leigh

2. acuriouslad macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you just want the movie itself Handbtake works great and has easy to use features to make it suitable for iPhone or iPod.

3. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

As the above poster said, Handbrake will rip commercial DVD`s just fine but you must have VLC installed and running for this to work.
    I also am obliged to point out that it is illegal to do this even for personal use. ;)

4. bigjobby macrumors 65816

That depends on which country you're in. ;)

5. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

Fair comment. :)

6. case2001 macrumors 6502

I thought there was a recent revision in the US. That allow this for personal or artistic use.

7. DustyLBottoms macrumors regular

Current US law allows copies for personal use/backup.

8. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Yes and no... as long as one doesn't circumvent the DVDs copy protection (as quoted) which the vast majority of movie DVDs are. In any case, I've never heard of anyone getting lynched for making their own backups. It's those involved in distributing protected content that they're really after.

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

As long as you only make a copy for yourself and don't go posting it on torrents or passing out copies, the studios aren't going to know and aren't going to bother prosecuting.

10. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

They don;t care, thats why they started out giving out the digital part :p (3 combo packs)