Backing up photos from iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS 9' started by ProwlingTiger, Aug 2, 2016.

1. ProwlingTiger macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

I have iCloud and have optimize storage selected. Even with this, my Photos and Camera is taking up 56.4 GB. I bought the 128GB iPhone 6 Plus because I knew I take a lot of photos and video. I thought using iCloud and optimizing the storage would help.

Clearly not. I'm going on an extended trip soon and want to have as much free space as possible. I would really like to just backup all my photos and video to my computer and wipe them from my iPhone and iCloud.

What is the best way of doing this? Please help! I'm going crazy here. Windows import photos and video keeps crashing and my understanding of the iCloud app is that it would continue to sync with my iPhone even when installed on Windows, meaning after I download everything, I couldn't go and delete it all again without them being deleted on my computer.

Also I'm afraid with Windows import, if it would ever decide to work, I'd only get copies of the thumbnails.

For all Apple's simplicity, iCloud is NOT one of them.

Many thanks!

2. M. Gustave macrumors 68000

M. Gustave

First of all, did you get a confirmation in Settings > Photos & Camera that the upload finished? It should say "Last updated ______ " with the time/date. If it says "Uploading __ photos", it's not done. 56 GB is a lot of photos, and the upload process is very slow. It seems to work in between other processes.

Once the initial upload is done, 'Optimize' will reclaim most of that space. Also you should only go by what your phone is telling you, iTunes on the desktop doesn't seem to understand caches/free space in the same way.

3. ProwlingTiger thread starter macrumors 65816

ProwlingTiger

Yes the upload has finished. It has updated regularly since I first started using iCloud back when I bought the iPhone 6.
    up

4. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

5. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

^^^^ Will give that a try, thanks for all links!

Cheers