Backing up photos imported into Aperture

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by danpass, Sep 11, 2011.

1. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I went looking for a certain event to back it up onto another drive.

The only thing I find is the entire Aperture library (everything is separated within Aperture by project of course)

I like the simplicity of sticking in the SD card, having the app open up, and importing on the fly.

This is how I did it with Lightroom and it works just as well with Aperture.

I'm new to Aperture so this fact of not locating the project folder all by itself in the Finder was a bit disconcerting. I'm hoping that it is a simple import setting.

I don't want to have to copy files to a folder and then import into Aperture as obviously that represents an additional step.

iMovie does put the files into their own folder that can then be found in the Finder.

2. Keleko macrumors 68000

That's kind of how Aperture works. It manages the library for you. To back it up you'd normally just let Time Machine do the work of backing up the entire library for you.

You can have Aperture store the master files outside the managed library, so you can then find the files that way and back them up from the external directories. That doesn't get you the processed versions, though. You'd have to export those from Aperture to individual files to back them up outside of Aperture.

To store the masters outside of Aperture, when you import you can choose a directory for the masters to go instead of "In the Aperture Library". Look on the far right of the application window for "Store File:" and choose a directory.

3. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

The way Aperture works by default is fundamentally different than the way Lightroom works.

By default, when you set up a new library in Aperture you create a managed library. This means that Aperture stores the photos inside its library file. Aperture automatically organises the files "physical" location so you only have to worry about how you want to organise them inside of Aperture.

The easiest way to make a backup of this is to use Aperture's Vaults. When you create a vault Aperture makes a backup of the library to the location of your choosing.

Now, Aperture can also use a referenced library. This is how Lightroom does things. With a referenced library you decide where and how your photos are organised outside of Aperture.

To backup a referenced library you have to manually backup the location (in the Finder).

With that sorted out there are ways options for making "on-the-fly" backups. In the import settings, down at the bottom, there is an area where you can specify a backup location. This should (I say should because I don't actually use it) make a copy of the photos in the location of your choosing in addition to where ever the library files are stored.

If you have a managed library (which it sounds like you do) you shouldn't go poking around inside the library file. If anything gets changed it will confuse Aperture and could corrupt the library.

Finally, I'm not sure what you mean by your third paragraph. Because with a managed library that's exactly what you do. You don't have to specify any location to import your photos as Aperture deals with that for you.

One final note; you can create folders to organise projects within Aperture following whatever conventions you have used previously. While this won't change how the photos are stored it will allow you to more clearly see what is where.

One truly final note; the main allure (at least for me and many others) of Aperture over Lightroom is that you do not have to manage how your photos are stored in the Finder.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I can't quite figure out what you want to do. To import photo you select a source, that could be a memory card, the camera itself plugged into a USB port or a folder. Then you import them into a project.

To backup, Aperture has it's own system. First you create a "vault" on a removable disk and then you tell aperture what to copy into the vault. Either "everything" or selected projects. Then you disconnect the "vault drive" and as you make edits Aperture figure out which files are out of date. Next time you connect the vault drive Aperture copies only those files that changes.

Most people will have several vault drives and keep some off site.

In addtion to all of that Time Machine keeps a backup.
    With several vault drives and TM You'll be safe enough if you keep some copies off site.

To get images out of the Aperture system, NEVER go into the library with Finder. Use Aperture's "export" feature to make copies. The stuff in the library are just your RAW files and some text files that describe all the edits you have done. The export function will run the edit list files on the raw files and create JPG, TIFF or what ever you need. Let Aperture manage you files

5. danpass thread starter macrumors 68020

danpass

Its ok, Keleko got me going.

I had broken the computer rule of "click everything, then right click it" to see what happens and had not clicked on the dropdown menu where it says "Store Files:" when in the import menu.