Backing up photos on trip w/ i4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SouthBeachMac, Jul 12, 2010.

1. SouthBeachMac macrumors member

Hi - quick question to pick the community's brain. I'm going on a trip in a few weeks, and am going to try and leave the laptop at home...planning to use my iPhone 4 to take pictures/movies. Wanted to see if anyone could recommend a good way to basically "back up" these pictures, whether it be on a daily basis or whatever, via Internet. I have not yet joined mobile me, but am wondering if their iDisk feature would be ideal for this? Or if there is another lower cost service that would also do the trick. Thanks for your help in advance!

2. SouthBeachMac thread starter macrumors member

3. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

It may not be ideal, but you can always just create a free Photobucket account and download the free app and just upload your pictures there. You can also share them with others that way or just keep them private if you'd prefer.

I'm not sure about what type of compression they use before uploading.

4. SouthBeachMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply. My main concern is maintaining the resolution of the photos...does the photo bucket app keep (or does the phone even allow the upload to) the 5MP resolution? I'd like to be able to edit the photos when i get back.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Just tried Dropbox - Works great! But it only allows 1 photo at a time. :(

I think the Flickr app works really well too, although I haven't used it much. It also seems to only allow 1 photo at a time. :(
    (EDIT: To be clear, Flickr will upload more than one photo at once...but you have to manually add each photo to that que...one at a time.)

MobileMe works well, you just have to set up a gallery AHEAD of time using your computer's web browser and make sure you've set it to 'full quality.' The advantage here is that you're not only backing up, you're creating a web gallery people can view! Pretty neat! It ALSO allows only 1 photo at a time. :mad: (Also, I know the photos stay full-sized, I'm not positive the videos won't be compressed.)

So...I'm open to suggestions too! The combination of "Full Quality" and "Multiple Photos at once" seems to be a tough one to find!

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I use Dropbox with PixelPipe to upload multiple photos/videos simultaneously and at full quality. It works very well.

7. SouthBeachMac thread starter macrumors member

Awesome - I happen to have both of those installed from previous posters who mentioned them. Thanks everyone for the help - hope this can help others as well.