iPhone X Backing up Photos prior to Friday

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm handing my phone back to Apple on Friday and getting an Xs on the iUP. I have my photo originals downloaded on my phone, and backed up in iCloud.

However, I have lost some photos previously in an iCloud balls up, so I don't like trusting that fully when changing devices. Is there anyway I can backup my full photo library onto my Mac prior to Friday?

I've got a lot of photos on there that I really can't lose. I suppose I should really setup an additional photo backup service when I've got the Xs. Any recommendations?

Cheers,
Stewart

Ries

macrumors 68020
Apr 21, 2007
Make sure backup is run. Restore on new phone and check if everything is OK. Don't wipe the old one until you're sure.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Make sure backup is run. Restore on new phone and check if everything is OK. Don't wipe the old one until you're sure.
I'm not going to get a chance to do this, I'm handing the phone over as part of the iUP. There is no way I will be able to download thousands of photos and check before leaving the store?

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I'm not going to get a chance to do this, I'm handing the phone over as part of the iUP. There is no way I will be able to download thousands of photos and check before leaving the store?
Do you have access to iTunes? It will do what you want. I would never trust only the cloud to protect all of my data. Also when you plug you phone into a computer a box should come up that allows you to copy and paste your 8mages to that computer.

If you really value your data, you should not just depend on the cloud.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Do you have access to iTunes? It will do what you want. I would never trust only the cloud to protect all of my data. Also when you plug you phone into a computer a box should come up that allows you to copy and paste your 8mages to that computer.

If you really value your data, you should not just depend on the cloud.
I didn't think iTunes did full photo backups nowadays?? I don't think that box comes up on a Mac, does it?

Stewart

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I didn't think iTunes did full photo backups nowadays?? I don't think that box comes up on a Mac, does it?

Stewart
Yes it does. If you do a full encrypted backup on iTunes it will include everything, even passwords and medical data. Your photos will be backed up fine. Just plugging your phone in a computer will allow you to copy and paste all your images to the computer.

Not sure if the box comes up on a MAC. BUT, iTunes will back up your images on your phone.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
I recently plugged my phone in to my computer at work, uploaded all my pics into a folder on the desktop then saved them all on USBs.

I planned to do better with my photos, going through them monthly and either uploading somewhere or deleting them, but I failed miserably and had about 5,000 I needed to get off my phone. I’m gonna save the rest to USB Thursday at work and when I get my new phone, I’m gonna MAKE myself keep up with pics each month.

LadiJae

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
You use your computer/laptop if you have one ... I use my laptop and also google photos

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
you have 3 options

1) backup on itunes and then transfer the backup to the new iphone

2) use Photos app to transfer from iphone to laptop. i would recommend this, as you can keep a backup copy on either your laptop or external harddrive, in case something happens to your new iphone (touchwood) in future. if you are not performing 1), you can then use itunes to transfer these photos to your new iphone. the photos will not appear in your camera roll, but in another folder.

3) use the google photos app, but you only have 15gb of space or you can choose the option that compresses your photo but have unlimited storage. on your iphone, the photo quality is quite indistinguishable. The photos are now stored on google cloud, so you will be using your data if you want to browse the photos. you can also transfer the photos back to your new iphone's local storage, but i think the process is quite tedious.

Reactions: ckurt25

ckurt25

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Grand Rapids, MI
you have 3 options

1) backup on itunes and then transfer the backup to the new iphone

2) use Photos app to transfer from iphone to laptop. i would recommend this, as you can keep a backup copy on either your laptop or external harddrive, in case something happens to your new iphone (touchwood) in future. if you are not performing 1), you can then use itunes to transfer these photos to your new iphone. the photos will not appear in your camera roll, but in another folder.

3) use the google photos app, but you only have 15gb of space or you can choose the option that compresses your photo but have unlimited storage. on your iphone, the photo quality is quite indistinguishable. The photos are now stored on google cloud, so you will be using your data if you want to browse the photos. you can also transfer the photos back to your new iphone's local storage, but i think the process is quite tedious.
Do #1 & #2 if you're worried you're going to lose pics. Start with #2 and verify all the photos on your phone made it to your mac. Then do #1 / an encrypted backup in iTunes. When you get your new phone, restore it with that encrypted backup. Everything should be restored but if it's not, you have the photos on your MacBook and can transfer them to your phone.

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get everything backed up tonight.

Another quick question, I have 2-factor enabled on my Apple ID account, when I hand back the phone to Apple, and sign into iCloud (after writing down my password from 1password), how am I going to get my 2-factor code? Will I still be able to get it on my X, assuming its still turned on and connected to Wifi?

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
If you use google photos read over their features. I believe google limits the resolution of a photo

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll get everything backed up tonight.

Another quick question, I have 2-factor enabled on my Apple ID account, when I hand back the phone to Apple, and sign into iCloud (after writing down my password from 1password), how am I going to get my 2-factor code? Will I still be able to get it on my X, assuming its still turned on and connected to Wifi?
if i recall correctly (it has been sometime since i set up a new iphone), you dont need your 2-f code to set up your new iphone. however, you should remove your old iphone as a device from your account (https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT204074). you should also do a factory reset before returning (https://support.apple.com/en-sg/HT201252)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.