Backing up photos

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by richwhite08, Oct 3, 2015.

1. richwhite08 macrumors newbie

I currently use Photo stream to automatically upload photos to my Mac. I am thinking of using iCloud Photo Library instead so everything is everywhere but I'm nervous that if one gets deleted it goes from all of them including the cloud.

If I tell Photos to save to Mac, will the photos be included in a time machine backup? And where are photo files actually stored so I can manually copy to an external drive if I want to?

Currently I use Dropbox for auto upload as my main backup but am considering using iCloud library instead to cancel my Dropbox plan as its more expensive

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Yes, they will.

In your Home Folder>Pictures>Photos Library.

However, the Photos Library file is a Package. To look inside, Ctrl/Click or Two Finger Click and choose, "Show Package Contents. Be very careful though, as if you mess around inside there, you can corrupt seriously Photos.

3. richwhite08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!
    I wouldn't do any messing, just move to an external (although probably wouldn't if they're in time machine). They would show on non-Apple products I'm assuming?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

The photos? Yes they would.

5. richwhite08 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do they let you add tags? I'm surprised that Photos doesn't have tags now that it's an option in Finder, seems weird you can only add keyword