Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ins187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
I'm trying to back up some psx games i own so i can use them in epsxe 1.7.0 that i have running in crossover. I can't seem to get epsxe to detect my superdrive and play the games straight away from the cd so my next option is backing them up. I have toast but i can't seem to make an iso without getting all sorts of errors.. :(

donuttakedonuts

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
I'm trying to back up some psx games i own so i can use them in epsxe 1.7.0 that i have running in crossover. I can't seem to get epsxe to detect my superdrive and play the games straight away from the cd so my next option is backing them up. I have toast but i can't seem to make an iso without getting all sorts of errors.. :(

Im pretty sure that's illegal.

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
Making backup copies--or any other fair use scenario--should be legal. However, the discs have some copy protection on them, and the DMCA makes it illegal to basically even think about circumventing copy protection. So while you're within your rights to own a copy, it's illegal to attempt to make one, essentially. It was a moderately clever way to completely circumvent all the reasonable provisions of existing copyright law.

At least that's how I understand it, and it's why the DMCA is one of the most preposterous and insulting pieces of legislation in the US. It's why you can't even legally LINK to a site discussing methods of bypassing copyright without running the risk of getting sued by the RIAA or MPAA or whoever, as was the case with a major website that was writing about software to bypass video copy protection.

ins187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Ok that clears up some things. Glad i don't get my ass sued where i live with these sort of things.. The thing is i have no problem backing these games up using alcohol 120% in windows, three clicks and i'm done. But i don't feel like installing windows on my mpb just for this. I'm a psx collector and i just want to play some games when i'm at my girlfriends place on my mbp.

But if it's not possible to obtain the info here then i'll just have to look further, thanks! :)

donuttakedonuts

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2009
Makosuke is correct, we can't even tell you how to go about breaking copy protection because of the DMCA. The Rich Idiots Abusing Artists will come after us!
Ya might just make a visit to The Pirate Bay before it disappears, get the ISO's there.

ins187

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 17, 2009
Getting the iso's is no problem for me but i just think it's stupid since i have the originals and making an iso from them in windows takes like 5 mins. It shouldn't be this hard on a mac, it probably isn't but i just don't know how to do it. :p And there's something about playing your own backups that satisfies me more then getting them from some pirate site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.