Backing up question

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Xavier, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Xavier macrumors 68020

Ever since my first backup, I have been using SuperDupers Smart update feature which allows me to copy all the 'different' files and create a clone HD in a matter of minutes.

But the thing I want to know is if there is a way to clone the entire HD but keep a separate folder. So for example, when I open my backup drive, I see all the usual copy files from the Main HD but I want to keep a separate folder called "other files" from being deleted every time I backup.

How would one do this?

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

3. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

To do the same thing as CCC: Instead of copying your main drive to your backup drive, copy to a Disk Image on your backup drive. This assumes you have the space and that you are okay with not backing up your extra folder. Also, like CCC, it will take hours instead of minutes since you are not doing a Smart Backup.

A better idea is to make a small second partition on your backup drive and put your extra stuff there.

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

rsync

If you don't want to go with the above solutions, which are good ones, and you like playing on the command line you can use the 'rsync' command. You can do some searches on how exactly to use it if it sounds of interest. I use it to make backups of my flash drive. Works very nicely for what I need.

5. Xavier thread starter macrumors 68020

Ya, that came to mind. I really liked how Smart Update took a matter of minutes instead hours. But its not like I dont have the space to do a second partition or a disk image. 500gb LaCie helps for all my backup needs.

Thank you both I will try this partition thing, even though it will eventually become to small I think.

6. todd2000 macrumors 68000

Thats a good Idea :) Wish I would have though of it LOL :)

7. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

I used Carbon Copy Cloner for a couple of years, until I realised that the "bootable" clone it was supposed to be making wasn't actually bootable at all. It would try and boot, but fail after some frightening errors. It was also a real headache. To get the scheduling behavior I wanted, and to mount/unmount the drive automatically, I needed to write shell scripts and manually edit crontab.

As much as I like mucking about with UNIX, SuperDuper is much more reliable and less hassle.

But you're right, you can't to what you're asking with SuperDuper!. I strongly recommend the 2nd partition strategy.

SL