Backing Up/Reinstalling the Mac OS X with Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tee.Nutter, May 10, 2009.

1. Tee.Nutter macrumors regular

I am new to the MAC World and have a couple of questions. The iMac I have is in my signature. So far I am pretty happy with it :)

I have installed a whole host of applications and then uninstalled some. Also copied large/small files (movies, music etc...) on to my HD and then deleted them.

So, I am a little concerned about defragmentation on my HD. I know that MAC OS X is supposed to be pretty good with file allocation, but I would like to "defrag" my HD by formatting and reinstalling the OX.

Am I right in thinking that when the OS reinstalls it will be all contiguous and not have any gaps between the data? hence no need to defrag?

Most Importantly, can I back up my OS with all the applications and reinstall it from the back up with all the applications that I have on my iMac???

2. BobZune macrumors 6502a

No need to be overly concerned about defragmentation on OS X especially if it is performing well. Doing what you did with large files (bigger than 20MB) will in fact fragment the hard disk to some degree.

Yes, a reinstall will make the files contiguous. If you want to do so, you can use either CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper to clone the machine's boot disk (or partition) on to another disk (or partition), verify the booting from that other drive works, then clone it back to the original disk. Time Machine will also work -- you can back up "everything" (pay attention to what you have set up as excluded in TM backup, so you don't lose anything), then boot from the OS X DVD and bring everything back.

I'd recommend the bootable clone method.

3. Tee.Nutter thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your advice there :) The file that I have put onto my HD and deleted were mostly over 20mb, hence the concern. I'll have a look at the cloning method Apps.

When I use my external WD hardrive for the Time Machine. Do I need to reinstall the OS X from the disc and then back up apps from the Time Machine?

4. BobZune macrumors 6502a