Backing up & replacing iPhone

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by profets, May 29, 2017.

1. profets macrumors 68040

Tomorrow I have an appointment to get my iPhone repaired. In the case that it has to get replaced, I'm going to do a full encrypted backup before taking it in. I've done this in the past, but I can't recall the exact sequence and what happens to the watch if it needs to get paired to the replacement iPhone.

My main concern is that I have the rings filled every day, and don't want to lose activity during the stretch while the iPhone is getting repaired. At the time of backup, the activity data will be saved in the iPhone backup, but if restoring to the iPhone, the watch will likely need to be reset to get paired with the iPhone right? So there's going to be a window from when I backup the phone to restoring and re-pairing watch in which I won't have any activity data recorded if that is the case.

I guess what I could do is not wipe the phone after backing it up, but whenever I've brought devices in for family members I've gotten in the routine of backing up and wiping, just to avoid any issues of activation lock , passcode, and even privacy of having a device fully unlocked with a lot of data on it.

Any thoughts?

2. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

1. Un Pair :apple:Watch
    2. Backup iPhone to iTunes (encrypted) & iCloud (you can do iCloud at the :apple:Store)
    3. Restore iPhone backup to new iPhone
    4. Pair and restore from backup :apple:Watch to new iPhone

3. profets thread starter macrumors 68040

^Thanks Julien. That's what I was thinking, though was hoping to not have any missed activity on the watch. I guess I could just minimize it by doing the unpairing and then restoring as close as possible.

4. Julien macrumors G4

Julien

This is what iCloud is superior at (iTunes is faster) since you can un-pair, backup and restore at the :apple:Store without missing a step (figuratively or literally not too many).