Backing Up Specific Files to Server

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by bmouthboyo, Apr 28, 2014.

1. bmouthboyo macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I am setting up a small home server running Server Essentials 2012 R2 and I would like my imac and Macbook Air to A) perform Time Machine backups to a shared folder and B) Use crashplan to remotly backup most critical files such as family photos, important document scans etc.

No from what I have read it is not a good idea to get crashplan to remote backup Time machine Backups, and instead I should remote backup only specific files or folders.

I do not really want to pay for the 'Family' crash plan package which I would need if each Mac had it installed and backing up files, instead I would prefer just the single user package and have it work on the server. This means though that I need a method of backing up specific files that are locally stored on the Macs to the server, where crash plan will then back them up remotely also.

Can anyone recommend a way to do this for specific files and folders separate to the Time Machine backups.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Like I mentioned in your other thread, you need Apple Filing Protocol (AFP) support to use Time Machine, and SE does not have that.

You could use something like CCC to backup to the server though.