Backing up & syncing new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by martosprint, Nov 11, 2013.

1. martosprint macrumors 6502

I just bought an iPhone 5S and before I go into iTunes to backup and sync, how would I prevent everything that I have on my iPads from transferring over This is my first iPhone. Does it automatically do that? I don't want that to happen. I don't want to have anything added to the iPhone. I have no problem backing up and syncing my two iPads but the iPhone would be the first for me. I hope I have made myself clear.
    thanks for a reply.

2. McRumour macrumors member

Before connecting your iPhone to your computer:
    1. Open ITunes
    2. On menu bar at top of screen (beside the Apple) - click on ITunes/Preferences/Devices Preferences
    3. Devices Preferences window will open.
    Add a checkmark to box at bottom of that window - beside where it says: "Prevent iPods, iPhones & iPads from synching automatically."
    4. Hit OK

When you now connect your iPhone and open its Summary Page - you'll see (at the bottom) a button on the right which is labeled "Synch".
    Don't worry:
    Nothing will synch - unless and until you press that button.
    If you've been automatically synching your other devices till now - you'll probably have to synch them manually in the future (by hitting that button). Hardly a big deal....tho perhaps there's even a way round that :confused: