Backing up sys.prefs.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Skjetne, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Skjetne macrumors member

Hi.

I want to backup my systems folder. That is the folder with all my user info (settings, etc.) not my files.

Wich folder/file is it that i need to backup in order to do that?

Help is appreciateded :)

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

/Users/[yourusername]/Library will generally hold that, but it's not 100%. What exactly do you need backed up?

jW

3. Skjetne, Sep 13, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2011

Skjetne thread starter macrumors member

I just want to backup my system prefs. and maybe apps, online without any drive or something..

But i need to know wich folder, since i have to choose wich folders i want to backup with the program I'm using..

In case i loose my mac.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

You need to be more specific. What preferences are you referring to? If it's things like your Desktop background, and most application's preferences, those are in the Preferences folder contained in the location I put in my last post. If it's system-wide settings like network preferences, those are in the same location in /Library. You'll find everything you need in one of those places. I'm not sure why that's your focus though, most people are more concerned with the data on their computer than their settings.

jW

5. Skjetne thread starter macrumors member

The would be complete backup of the whole system(incl apps) with out my files. But i'm not quite sure how much space that will take..

But what i originally wanted, was just systemprefs, user acc(incl background, display setting etc.)

But if its possible to backup the whole system with out stuff like; tv-series, movies, music and so on..

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight