Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shmuco

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 21, 2010
Hi,
So I need to wipe my phone as I have a problem with webkit, however, I need to keep my texts.

Does anyone know any software that can transfer the texts from my iTunes backup on to my phone after it's been restored. I can't restore from an iCloud or iTunes backup as it'll bring the problem back.

jozeppy26

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
St. Louis
I believe there are a few apps in the app store that do this with a companion desktop app, well sort of. From what I've gathered, you can save your messages on your computer as an excel sheet or text document/PDF, but cannot get them back to your newly restored iPhone. If your iPhone was jailbroken, then you would be able to do this easily with iFunBox, but that's the only way I believe (because only jailbroken devices allow access to the /private directory where the SMS database file is located, and allow you to save and replace that file). Here's an article on TUAW that discusses your options for a jailed device (albeit a little over 1 year old)

http://www.tuaw.com/2013/11/05/backing-up-your-iphones-text-messages/

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.