Backing up to external harddrive

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iSabifi, Feb 17, 2012.

1. iSabifi macrumors member

iSabifi

I am about to jailbreak my iPhone and just incase anything goes wrong I want to backup my iPhone, I already know how to back it up but I just need the backup to go into my external harddrive. Any newbie help?

2. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

* Mac: (user)/library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/
    * Windows XP: \Documents and Settings\(user name)\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\
    * Windows Vista en Windows 7: \Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup\

THat is the location of yoru backup files

3. iSabifi thread starter macrumors member

iSabifi

When I go there do I just copy it and put it in the external harddrive? And when I wanna restore my phone to it just option click?

4. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

making a backup is by right clicking on your iphone in the left pane of itunes.

from there you can restore from a backup as well.

5. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Where in there are thencontacts? That's Lll I want

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Why not just let iTunes handle the contacts backup.
    Always available to restore to your device with one click.

And with a PC or Mac, you can always make a copy of your contacts as a failsafe (from whatever contacts app you use). And of course you can move that copy anywhere you want (thumb drive, CD, whatever)

7. aliensarecool macrumors 6502a

aliensarecool

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Just in case something happened to my iTunes or computer. I'd like to have them on an external. Just not sure how to do that

8. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Make a backup of the contacts file in whatever app your computer is storing your contacts in. Every Mac or PC contacts/address book app allows this with a couple of clicks