Backing up to external HD -- MacBook closed?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jonathanm1222, Jun 2, 2013.

1. Jonathanm1222 macrumors member

I'm backing up to an external hard drive using my MacBook Pro with the latest OS software installed. If I close the MacBook will it continue to back up or will it go into sleep mode or some other which will suspend or stop the back up procedure until I lift the lid back up?

2. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

My MacBook Pro is from 2011 and I'm still running Snow Leopard, but I'm pretty sure yours will work the same:

When you close the lid it goes into sleep mode and all running programs are suspended. This should include the Time Machine software running the backup. I guess it should resume when you open the lid. Perhaps you can test that, as I don't know if it might start all over again.

3. marzer macrumors 65816

marzer

With the Power Nap feature in ML it should backup when asleep or with the lid closed. However, it will only do it when connected via power cord. Unless you explicitly enable Power Nap on battery in Sys Prefs.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5394

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

how are you backing up?

time machine?
    then if you have a supported mac (list in the link that marzer gave) then it will back up via power nap.
    Supported are Macbook Air late 2010 and newer, and all Retina MBP (non-retina not supported)

if you're using a different method, like Carbon Copy Cloner for one example. then when you close the lid it will stop.