Backing up to icloud and restoring from icloud

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jdaniel, Mar 12, 2017.

1. jdaniel macrumors 65816

Hi guys I used to back up my iphone to my mac but I am thinking of giving up my mac soon and going to an Ipad.

I know you can back up everything to icloud I got myself a 200GB plan. Basically my question is without a mac how would I restore my iphone? I can reset and do a few things but if I an encountering serious problems, I would have to look for a mac to restore it right?

But in terms of reloading everything that is on the phone, that can be done totally from the icloud back up?

2. dangerfish macrumors 6502

Of course. I stopped connecting my phone to my Mac years ago. Every year when I get a new phone, I just restore from iCloud.

3. Shirasaki macrumors 603

Shirasaki

Local backup is great when you don't have good internet. However, starting from iOS 9, Apple ditches user the ability to fully restore without internet connection because Apple needs to reinstall apps from App Store, rather than from your iTunes library.

Still, I prefer local backup. Sometimes the restore process over wifi could take forever.

4. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Not sure I will ever trust the cloud for my backups. I still do it but still backup to iTunes just in case as I had a problem with restoring from the cloud and lost a lot of stuff. Not going to happen again.