Backing up Two Macs with One External HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macswitcha2, Mar 14, 2010.

1. macswitcha2 macrumors 65816

I am currently backing up my iMac with a OWC Mercury Elite Pro. I have two partitions in it, one for my iMac and one for my Macbook. Time Machine is set to automatically back up my iMac. What I need to know is a) can I also backup my eMac? and b) if so, how?

I am currently going to upgrade to Os X Tiger and need to back up the eMac's HD using the the same external HD used to back up my iMac.

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just create another partition on the external through Disk Utility. As long as there is room it shouldn't touch any partitions data. Then use CCC, SuperDuper! or Time Machine to back up the eMac to the newly created partition.

3. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Can I simply connect the eMac via a firewire to my iMac and back it up to the new partition through time machine?

4. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

One more question, when I create another partition, do I have to rename or re-allocate the current partitions? I currently have my external HD divided into two partitions, one for my iMac and the other for my macbook. I'm in disk utilities. and it shows my current partitions but when I add a third partition it shows three partitions with no info.

5. pcman2000 macrumors newbie

NO! DONT CHOOSE 3 PARTITIONS! YOU WILL LOSE ALL YOUR DATA!

Look at attached

Attached Files:

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Time Machine CAN backup two or more Macs on one disk/parition, just make sure you have enough space. another folder is created in Backup.backupdb with the second Mac's machine name.

7. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks! I haven't done anything yet since I wasn't sure. Thanks for the heads up!

8. Gold89 macrumors 6502

Remember that Time Machine is only in Leopard/Snow Leopard.

9. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

But can I use Time Machine to back up the eMac via Target Disk Mode and then disconnect the two machines, then when I upgrade to Tiger on the eMac I can reconnect them using Target Disk Mode again and inport the back up back to the eMac via Time Machine?

10. macswitcha2 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok...I'm trying to understand something, I can back up my emac using CCC or super Duper even if my iMac is being backuped by Time Machine?

11. mdechristi macrumors newbie

I posted a similar question, BUT I CAN'T FIND IT! So, thanks to anyone who may have posted answers.

May I suggest a quick link in the quick links button, "My posts".