Backing up using CCC and TM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tyler23, May 1, 2012.

1. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Hey everyone,

I have a 2009 MBP running Lion.

I currently have a 600 GB WD Passport external HD. So far, I've been backing up by cloning my HD to my external using CCC. Manually plugging in, then cloning my HD using CCC takes quite a bit of time, so I don't get around to it very often.

I was wondering if I could use Time Machine as well to help with smaller, incremental backups. Useful being a college student at the end of the semester constantly working on various papers.

If this is a good solution, how should I set it up? I went to use Time Machine earlier and it started doing a full back up. I guess I'd need to use this, then could I just plug it in a few times a day for smaller backups?

If so, now would I have several versions of my entire HD stored on the external?

Thanks in advanced, I know it's a lot..let me know if I need to clarify anything :cool:

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

CCC does incremental backups

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can do incremental backups with either CCC or TM. While some prefer to have two different backup methods, it's not absolutely necessary. I prefer using CCC to create a bootable backup (which TM can't do), then keeping that backup current with incremental backups. You can schedule those backups to occur at certain time intervals, or automatically, whenever the backup drive is connected.

4. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

That's what I have it set to now, however it seems to me that it still goes through and clones the entire HD, which is too time consuming..

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you have it set up properly, it won't keep cloning the entire HD. It will only backup those files that changed since the last backup.

6. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

na you can tell, next time you do it watch data copied number it wont go up as it scans the source until it hits a new or changed file

what is you external drive usb or firewire?

mine is firewire 800 and my internal hard drive has just over 500GB on it and my backups are usually done when I have about 15-20GB of new/changed data and it only takes about 10 minutes

7. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

Thanks a lot for the info.

Now, would there be any benefit to me having the whole HD cloned using CCC and doing incremental backups with that, while also backing up my HD using TM and doing incremental backups from there as well?

Edit: I use a firewire 800 to connect my external to my MBP.

Wish I could afford a Time Capsule, would make frequent incremental backups so much simpler..

8. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

personally I have no use for TM, from what i read its very slow on the restore process, and its not a bootable backup

im not on my mac so i cant see what settings you should have ticked but with firewire 800 you should be cloning close to a GB a minute, so once the whole drive is done you incrementals should not take long if you cloning often

9. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I prefer to use both TM and CCC
    I have them on different drives just in case :)

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not really, other than redundancy.
    You can backup to any external or networked hard drive, just like you can to a Time Capsule. The Time Capsule doesn't give you any added backup capabilities.

11. harry454 macrumors 6502

I know this is little off topic, but I highly recommend for your college stuff use dropbox! Thats what I do for mine and it works wonders. Auto syncs as well you can access older versions from their site!

12. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Me too

I use my CCC for a boot disc backup and for new hdd, etc

I use TM not for a backup per say but more of a way to utilize previous files if need be

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's what I do. I use TM on my NAS, for those oh crap moments when I really shouldn't have saved a document or when I deleted a file that I ought not have.

CCC on a different external drive for those times when a full system restore is needed, and I also run CCC on a portable drive that I take offsite just in case :)

14. Tyler23 thread starter macrumors 603

Tyler23

I meant for the ease of wireless syncing :) having to plug in my external means far fewer backups than I'd like..

15. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

i think he meant there are other wireless network drives other than time capsule