backing up using Superduper!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by downingp, Sep 2, 2007.

1. downingp macrumors 6502a

After reading on this forum, I went ahead and got the superduper program for my backup. I want to be able to back up to my external hard drive. The external hard drive is also where I keep all of my music. I don't want to backup the entire Macintosh HD, all I want to back up is my "Home" folder (picture, movies, documents, etc.).
    I read on the superduper website that I don't want to use the "erase and copy" or the "smart update" because that will delete my external hard drive (my music) and make a clone of my Macintosh HD. I see there is an option to copy just "user files". When it says "user files" would that mean the same as my "home" folder?
    Also, what would be the best setup, "copy different files" or "copy newer files" option?

thanks for all your help.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

iBackup would probably be what you're looking for then. You can uncheck the ~/Music folder and not back it up.

3. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have other folders inside my "home" folder I want to be able to backup too other than the usual music, movies, documents, etc.

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

They'll show up as well. Have you tried the program to see if it provides the path depth that you want?

5. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

I haven't downloaded the program. I will give it a shot.

thanks.

6. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

That seemed to do what I wanted it to. Is there a way to setup a scheduler with ibackup?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Check under the Preferences.

Note: There are two sets.
    1. Application
    2. Backup

The little gear in the main window at the bottom should be what you want.

8. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. downingp thread starter macrumors 6502a

there are no hidden options that will delete my external hard drive first before it backs up right? I can't afford to lose my music

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I creates a backup folder that'll live along side any other folders there. It does not erase anything.