Backing up windows partition

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by TexasJr, Sep 19, 2011.

1. TexasJr macrumors newbie

I am getting ready to install Mac OSX Lion... Any suggestions for an application to back up my Windows Vista partition?

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

What is the backup for?Just in case? If so you can probably just make a bitwise image with dd. Clonezilla should work fine and Winclone works if you use the unofficial 2.3.x version that I won't link to due to forum rules.

B

3. TexasJr thread starter macrumors newbie

I need to backup my windows partition because from what I've heard, going from Snow Leopard to Lion, your boot camp partition gets destroyed, and I don't have any of my windows discs (OS disc, games, applications) so I definitely need to back it up so I wont lose all my stuff... and well, an illegal activity of some sort (even though I have legitly bought the software) is out of the question right now because I am on a University network.

4. tfa8rva macrumors member

While backing it up is always wise.....that fact that your bootcamp partition get destroyed is completely untrue. My Windows 7 is working as well as it ever did after going to Lion. No problems.......just now I have three disk to choose from at boot up. OSX, Windows, and System Restore Disk.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Likewise. Both of my Windows 7 installs survived the upgrade to Lion just fine.

I used dd from Terminal to make my just-in-case CYA backup.

B

6. dalstott macrumors member

dalstott

Some have had problems with the Lion recovery partition affecting the BootCamp partition adversely. To avoid this problem you need an external drive formatted as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) with GUID Partition Table.

Follow these steps to avoid having any conflicts with the recovery partition as it it will be installed on the external HDD but not the Mac HDD. I did this on two MBPs and have had no problems with my BootCamp installations.

Mac OS X 10.7 without a recovery partition

- Use Yasu and Diskwarrior to prepare existing Mac HDD
    - Clone or update smart clone to ext HDD
    - Restart from the ext HDD and select it as the startup volume via System Preferences /Startup Disk.
    - Install 10.7 Lion on the cloned ext HDD
    - Install Lion 10.7.1 update on the ext HDD
    - Restart the ext HDD and test and adjust the preferences if needed.
    - Clone ext HDD back to the existing Mac HDD.

As far as cloning the BootCamp install the most favored app seems to be
    Paragon Hard Disk ManagerTM 2011 Suite. Winclone 2.3 is erratic and not dependable with Lion. Some other apps that have been used are Clone X, CoptCatX, Casper 6, Clonezilla.