backing up with Carbon Copy Cloner

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by FatLip, Feb 22, 2015.

1. FatLip macrumors member

FatLip

Hi, does anyone know if you can clone a OS unto a drive with out erasing it?

I got this 4TB drive with video files i have no place to store and i dont want to erase those files.

possible?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yes, there are options to leave existing files on the drive.

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It is best IMO to partition the drive, but you can do it without partitioning

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd also recommend having a backup plan for those video files, if the drive failed its no different then if you mistakenly erased it

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:
    How much of the 4tb drive has been used?
    How much remains free?

What I might do in your position:

1. Defrag the 4tb drive so that all the files are grouped "towards the top" of the drive (i.e., "at the beginning", with the rest of the space "free").

2. Partition the drive (how large the first and second partition will be depends (again) on how much space is currently being used on the drive. This will result in the "first" partition having all the extant files, and the second partition "open and free".

3. Next, MOVE all the files from the first partition to the second partition. You want the FIRST partition to become your OS install.

4. Now, clone the OS to the first partition (which is now able to accept it).

Done.

Aside:
    If the video files are important to you, I would suggest you get a SECOND drive, and back them up to it....

6. desertman macrumors 6502a

You can do this without any problems with or without partioning the external hard disk as long as there is enough space on it. I have done this several times, and instead of partitioning the disk I simply put everything that was an that disk into one folder - just to make it "cleaner" looking after the cloning.