Backing up World of Warcraft?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mac-mania, Aug 27, 2009.

1. mac-mania macrumors member

Ah, nothing like zero-ing out a disk and installing from scratch.

Except, like 13 World of Warcraft discs say otherwise.

My question is whether or not I can just drag my entire WoW folder to an external drive and drag back after the reformat. I don't want to use time-machine or migration assistant, because I specifically want to wipe everything else out, just not WoW.

Anyone know?

Also, bonus question: iLife 09 is on which disk from the bundle that came with my iMac? And I can install that after I install SL right?

Thanks in Advance!

2. mac-mania thread starter macrumors member

I'm an idiot, sorry I was following the OS X shipping thread and posted this here when it should go in Mac applications.

Can a mod please move this and not hurt me. Thanks!

3. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

just copy your entire folder and you're good :) ive been doing that for years without any problem. literally everything is inside the WoW folder - all the patches, settings, addons you might have, etc.

you can drag your WoW folder to any drive you and and when you drag it back over, it'll come back exactly the way you had it. i dont use migration assistant at all, because im afraid it'll put back all of my files, including the junk ones that i dont need anymore. time machine is useful for this very reason - you dont have to have osx restore everything...you can select EXACTLY what you want to restore, individually or multiple files/folders. time machine is much better, because this is exactly what i do for my documents, pictures, games, and most of my applications/utilities (the ones that just have the .app, and not any of the extra files that go into /library or something). as long as the new backups i made have all of my personal files on it (minus the junk ones from the previous install), it doesnt bother me. the choice is of course yours to make. :)

and yes, you can install the ilife 09 dvd that came with your imac on snow lepoard! :)

4. SomeSwede macrumors member

Just download WoW from the account management page on Blizzard's WoW site.

(It is doable on wow-europe, so i assume it is the same across the pond)

5. messedkid macrumors 6502

messedkid

JUST download WoW from Blizz? That's rich. :rolleyes:

It's possible, but I'm pretty sure installing the game from 13 discs will be faster than Blizz's fancy "download-and-install-at-the-same-time" thingermajig. After that's done, you still have to download all patches, just as if you were to install it from the cds.

What secretanchitman said is probably your best bet. Copy the entire WoW folder to an external hard drive or flash drive. Then just copy it back.

6. Dragonforce macrumors 6502a

Dragonforce

I just did this 2 hours ago:

Just install from your Wrath of the Lich King DVD, that included the classic WoW + Burning Crusade + obvisouly WotLK.

Run WoW 1 time, and it will download just ONE huge patch from 3.02 to 3.2 which is about 1.6 GB. Thats all. Took less than an hour for the complete installation from the WotLK DVD + downloading and patching.

You DON'T have to install classic + BC because its all on the WotLK DVD.

7. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

We'll this seems to work, I just started installing from my WotLK DVD.

This is awesome because I hate the 5 Discs of WoW and 4 from BC and was looking if there was a DVD version for both them. I guess there is and I already had it! :D

8. secretanchitman macrumors 6502

secretanchitman

copying back and forth is faster :p

however, dragonforce i totally agree with you if i was installing a fresh copy of WOTLK :)