Backing up

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by wicked23, Feb 24, 2014.

1. wicked23 macrumors member

I have a mac mini with an external hard drive plugged into it. How do I back up other computers on my network using that hard drive. I am currently using time machine and super duper to back up my computers.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am assuming since you posted in the OS X Server forum you have OS X Server installed, since that is needed for this task.

Just go to System Prefs and turn on Time Machine server then select the external disk as the backup destination. Then other Macs on the network will be able to chose that disk from the select disk option in their Time Machine settings.

Here is an article that explains it.

3. wicked23 thread starter macrumors member

Actually I am not running OS X Server. I guess I posted in the wrong section. So I can't do it without the server operating system?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have seen some articles with hacks to get it to work, but that is not supported by Apple and I would not want to trust my backups to it.

You can get OS X Server for $19.99 in the App Store here, so I would just go that route.

5. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

You can create a folder, share it, and have TM back up to that share.