Backing up

Discussion in 'iPad' started by tobeornottobe, May 26, 2016.

1. tobeornottobe macrumors regular

hi,
    My laptop just died and I'm thinking if I can replace my laptop with an iPad Pro. My only concern is how do I backup my iPhone without a pc/Mac and I don't want to pay for iCloud storage. I just want a normal backup like I'd on a pc, possibly to an external hard drive or even backing up to the iPad Pro. Is that possible?

2. RedOrchestra Suspended

3. 960design macrumors 68020

What are you backing up?
    Properly written apps already save everything to the cloud. Photos / videos ( turn the iCloud photos on ) everything saved, pages, keynote, numbers documents saved to the cloud.

When I replace my phone, I just wipe it, pick up the new iPhone and log into my iCloud account. A couple of minutes, everything is available.

This is why I'm asking, "What are you backing up?". I really am curious to what the heck I'm missing out on! I must be doing something wrong, I never plug any of my iDevices into a computer.

4. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

When I turn on iCloud backup, I don't seem to have the option to choose what to backup. It's just says not enough storage to backup your phone. What I need to backup is just all the apps and all their current settings, all the email accounts, well basically everything except for photos since I have that on my Dropbox.

5. RedOrchestra Suspended

A lot of users don't want anything to with iCloud and would prefer to back-up to an external drive - I am one of those so I too am looking for a back-up solution.

6. 960design macrumors 68020

Thanks, that helps me understand.
    I guess I completely cheat by having my iDevices managed. All my email accounts ( 3 ) get automatically added, all my apps get automatically reinstalled ( I do lose my level info on apps that do not persist data to the cloud - I'm looking at you Plants Vs Zombies ), photos come right back ( I normally log into iCloud and pull off any photos I REALLY want to keep forever and store them on a remote server - like the one attached ).

Attached Files:

7. tobeornottobe thread starter macrumors regular

Most other backup solutions don't backup apps and settings on your phone. It'd be so good if I could backup all the phone settings/apps/everything to a 256gb iPad Pro.

8. 960design macrumors 68020

How do I say this without looking like a troll? I guess all I can do is type...

What is it about iCloud that makes you prefer to store something on an external drive?
    I live in an area that gets hit by hurricanes, and have seen how fast a fire can ruin your day. I would hate to be called at work, rush home and see my house as a pile of ashes and think of all the data I just lost on my external drives. I'd hate to be on vacation and have a hurricane completely remove my house and foundation from the face of the earth and also have to deal with missing old pictures of my grandma or children that may have been stored on any local devices.
    --- Post Merged, May 26, 2016 ---
    That is very true, curse you Plants Vs Zombies!!!!

9. RedOrchestra Suspended

I travel a lot overseas and access to the Cloud can be challenging for a number of reasons plus I don't have an unlimited data plan domestically to move files up and down hence a portable external back-up is my preferred choice.

10. 960design macrumors 68020

I travel quite a bit as well. Internet / coffee cafes (free, very inexpensive WiFi) each day keep my code versioning up to date, photos and the extra bits get uploaded to iCloud as well. I haven't been anywhere iCloud is NOT allowed yet.

But I completely understand that relying on that access is quite naive on my part. The external drive at least guarantees a bit redundancy.