Backing up

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by yoak, Apr 27, 2007.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

Hi
    I finaly ordered an external hard drive (My Book 500GB) and wondered how best to handel my back ups.

I have been pretty bad at backing up and hope to change that now.

Up to now I only have made sporadic back-ups of photos and music to DVD´s and documents to iDisk.

I have an iMac and an ibook, can someone suggest a good and tidy way to do back ups?.

Do I make back ups of my entire HD or just parts of it?
    Should I use Backup 3, or is it other apps out there that´s better?

Help appreciated

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I use SuperDuper! to clone a bootable backup of my drive. It's very easy to use and just works:D

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'm using SuperDuper!, too... very nice and easy, and with smart updates backing up isn't taking too long, either (requires the paid version, but is totally worth it).

Just make a partition on your external the same size as the disk you want to back up, and another partition for the rest of the external as an 'ymse'-disk... ;)

4. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

I agree with robbie and Mitt. I use "Superduper" unregistered at first and was really pleased with it I paid to register it and it works great. I also have the "Mybook -500" with Firewire/USB. Works like a champ. I built three partitions; one for my MBP, and two others for my wife's and my XP machines. Nice thing about Superduper as with some other backup programs is after initial backup which can take a while you can then come back periodically and do a "Smart Update" that replaces or deletes those files that are different from original backup. This makes the backup a lot quicker and more up-to-date with any changes you might have done. This is in the Registered version ($27.95). Here is the link if you need it;

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Bill.......:)

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I've been using SmartBackup as of late. Since I don't need a clone of my drive currently, I've been backing up only the stuff in my home folder that I want.

True to it's name, it does 'Smart' backups. So it takes a while to complete the first time you run it, but every time after that, it only copies the files that have changed since the last backup. I'm a big fan. And it's only $22.

6. justG macrumors member

justG

I also use SuperDuper!. The first time I used it, I created a clone of my startup disk on the backup drive. That done, I scheduled a SmartUpdate that runs every night and copies/deletes data on the backup drive until it exactly matches my startup disk.

As has been stated, it's well worth the registration fee.

7. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I would have recommended Carbon Copy Cloner but V 2.3 is PPC and the UB beta is a bit of a mess right now.

I have a MyBook 500 attached to my MacBook 120 and I clone the entire drive once a month and backup changed files weekly.

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Boo third party cloning apps, hurray DiskUtility!

You can use Apple's DiskUtility to make a bootable clone of your drive using its restore feature. [Depends which OS you have. I think it began in 10.3 but I'm not sure.]

9. justG macrumors member

justG

No thanks. After reading this article, I thought it better to be safe than sorry and chose the software that seemed to me to be the most robust and reliable.

10. nehmia macrumors newbie

i tried this and it gave me an error saving the image file was too big. i have a mbp 100gb hdd and a 320 external with plenty of space. any ideas?

11. Mr.Texor macrumors regular

I use rsync and an external HD to back up my data. IT's very fast since it only copies deletes the changes. I just made a script that backups both my mac and web site.

rsync comes with macs, but.. it might be scary to use since you need to use the console.

12. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Thanks for the input guys. I´ll have a look at Superduper.

13. Simon R. macrumors 6502

I tried the programs suggested here and several others BUT I have yet to find one that meets my (simple?) needs: I need to be able to exclude backup of certain file types (or simply just include specific types), and preferably backup to an archive - and with scheduling built in. Anyone knows a program that can do that?