Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Did anyone have any trouble finding 1st gen iPhones? I didn't.

that would be because it initially launched in one country. And because a number of people were wary of a $600 phone that lacked 3G.

*I* didn't care to line up on launch day for the 1st Gen. In fact I almost didn't buy it all. I know a lot of people who never did buy it. By comparison, the response for the 1st Gen was tepid.

Now, you have a 60+ country launch, and a phone that's riding the coattails of the original, newer features, lower initial purchase price. A VERY different scenario, and one for which there were few predictors. The demand caught EVERYONE off guard. Especially considering that people were, as usual, criticizing the iPhone and espousing on why you shouldn't buy it, and the mainstream press was wondering if anyone would buy such a thing in a down economy.

The technologies that exist in the iPhone 3G have existed for more than 2 years, which means the infrastructure for the chipsets and components is there and as far as I know there is no shortage of labor in China, so there is no practical reason for iPhone 3G scarcity.

Okay, well, buy a phone from a company without shortages then. That'll show 'em. I hear RIM has plenty of stock to go around.

Last edited by a moderator:

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Correction:

It was one million in 21 countries... at less than half the original upfront price... and that number included phones that were not actually sold, but just on their way to non-Apple stores from China.
Thanks for the correction, .. I updated my post. :)

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
If Apple had the same amount of iPhones in the USA this launch as they had at the original iPhone launch the wait would be even longer. There is no shortage, watch for "supply has replenished" posts tomorrow.

chinl

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2008
Threads like this annoy me because it shows a complete lack of understanding of business, not to mention some serious issues of maturity.

If they don't sell a product (Wii or iPhone) they don't make money. The more they sell, the more they make. Every purchase that someone can't make is money they miss out on. Advertising a product but not trying to sell it doesn't make good business. If they could, they would make and sell a billion units tomorrow. Imagine the bonuses the CEOs could make!

Shortages also lead to consumer frustration, and frustration leads to a lack of sales. If people are repeatedly unable to buy a product they are apt to simply stop trying. Hype is good publicity. Telling people they can't even buy a product isn't.

Nintendo has their factories at full production. They are making Wiis faster than when they came out because there is such great demand. The number of factories is fixed. They cost billions of dollars to build. Microprocessor fabrication is not a cheap business to get into. Nintendo has also admitted to moving more product in Europe/Asia because the US dollar is low. Also, there are still plenty of people buying up Wiis and selling them on eBay and Craigslist to make a quick profit -- you have them to blame in part.

The same holds for Apple and the iPhone. They released it in several dozen countries simultaneously. They sold a million units in the first 3 days -- it took several months for the first iPhone to sell that many units. Now you have a subsidized phone that has been released to an even larger market.

It takes time to build the product, and they spent some time building a stock before the release. That initial stock, I imagine, is depleted. They will still be building them as fast as possible, but the demand is still huge. They could have built even more units initially -- and released the product next month. That would also have annoyed people. If ordering wait is still under 3 weeks. Apple could have waited long enough to fulfill that level of demand, but no one would have one yet rather than just some people.

As for distribution discrepancies... Apple being the producer gets first dibs. They also have bigger stores with bigger demands than AT&T. Rather than compare a single Apple store to a single AT&T store, compare that Apple store to all of the AT&T stores in the same service area. AT&T has many small stores, Apple has very few large ones. I would guess that if you do the comparison that way it looks much more even.

As for hype; it really depends on the perspective. For the overwhelming majority of the population the idea of waiting in line the night before a cell phone comes out is insane. Remember, the level of fanaticism present on this board is no way indicative of the majority. Most people will go in to the store, see that it is out of stock, order, and not spend the next weeks complaining. They won't rant and rave that they haven't gotten their phone by day 4 of the 7-10 day estimate they were given. They don't see Apple and AT&T as "owing" them something for the delay. They see it as a product that is sold out. This is no different than any other product. Has no one here tried to order furniture, a car with specific features, etc.? There are many things that are much more expensive for which you must wait longer. Two weeks for a phone is hardly the end of the world.

bluenoise

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2008
The fact that mine was manufactured the week before I bought it tells me they weren't storing it in some warehouse to keep up the hype factor.

Look how quickly they sold the first million of them. Maybe they were pleasantly surprised by the demand, but it sure beats manufacturing two million and only selling 750,000 in the first two months. What company would want to do that?

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Too bad I don't live in NY.

You might want to review your information and perhaps realize that I've been right all along. Here's the latest screen cap:

Picture 3.png

And here are your local stores:

Picture 8.png

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
there's a thread where someone made a tool that looks at the same inventory that apple.com/retail/iPhone uses.

Super quick way to see the total availability. I think only 8% of apple stores were sold out this morning when they opened.

He even snapshots the history every 15 minutes so you can track the sell outs over the day.

wronski

macrumors 6502
May 8, 2005
Those screenshots were taken at 2130 last night, I don't know where/when you got yours.

The availability checker was having errors at the time you checked as was discussed. Those screen shots are from 3 hours later, around midnight.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Go ahead, check the availability page right now.

Be careful if you are going to drive long distances to get them though

Store around me sold out in an hour so if you are going to drive somewhere longer than 50 miles away, get there early or call them once they open to see how long the lines are and how much stock is there

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.