Backlight Bleed - Macbook Pro 2012 13"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Johnx7, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Johnx7 macrumors newbie

Is backlight bleed normal on the Macbook especially the new 13 inch ones? I'm a windows user and have never used a Macbook but I've exchanged this Macbook 4 times and they all have this issue. Is it just the batch? I have 3 hp's and none of them have it. I attached a photo.

Attached Files:

2. Zarkizon macrumors member

I have the same MacBook Pro and I have noticed a similar issue with my display; though it is not nearly as bad as yours. I only notice it on really dark colors. It's not much of a problem since my brightness is up and usually on lighter backgrounds.

I've attached an image of it.

Attached Files:

3. Johnx7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the confirmation. It must be the batch they have in my area.

4. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

hummm I don't seem have any problems with backlight bleed on my 2012

5. Johnx7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I really wanted a Macbook so I tried two different Apple stores, and a Bestbuy. I've come to the conclusion that the first batch is all defective in my area. They tried to sell me on it by saying its normal but when I look at the floor models they don't have the issue.

6. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

Well, in the pictures, the room looks dark and it looks like you've got the screen intensity turned up full blast. Aren't you going to get that type of effect on any machine under those circumstances? Just asking.

7. Johnx7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Not exactly, I attached two pictures; One shows the bleed in a room that is lit and the second one shows how it looks in a completely dark room.

I actually put the laptop I bought side by side with the floor models in the apple store. You could definitely see the bleed on the one I purchased and no apparent bleed on the floor model (even with all of the bright lighting in the store).

So no, you don't see this effect on any machine.

8. Aznboy1993 macrumors newbie

Aznboy1993

I am having the same exact issues as you. I just purchased my MacBook Pro 13-inch (Mid 2012) model and my backlight bleeding almost exactly mirrors the one you have posted on your OP. I am thinking about exchanging it, but I am unfamiliar with the process. Do you just have to go to the Apple Store (no appointment?) and say that you have a backlight bleeding problem and want it exchanged?

9. wgnoyes macrumors 6502

I don't see anything different than I have in other vendor's machines, but we ARE talking apple here. If you're not satisfied with it, work with them to resolve the issue. :)

10. chibiterasu macrumors 6502

chibiterasu

I think you could be right I'm in the U.K so completely different area and my unit was a CRU (customer replacement unit) and that had to be ordered in they wouldn't just give me one from the back.

11. Sjwhite26 macrumors newbie

Hi

How did you check the light bleed?

I want to check so I can exchange in first 14 days if possible.

Thanks

12. samven582 macrumors 6502a

I just got mine a few hours ago and I have the same problem. Will be going back to the Apple store tomorrow to have it replaced

13. macrominnie macrumors member

To clearly answer the original question: No, major backlight bleed in a MBP is not normal!

I've used numerous 2011 models that do not have this problem. This is particularly disappointing since the MBP (non-"retina") is a mature design. The unibody 13 inch MBP design appeared in mid-2009. With several readers reporting this difficulty, it suggests that much more than a few customers may have the same trouble.

14. X Cruz 187 macrumors member

Apple is notorious for this, my iPad has light bleeding? & I have 2, 46 in. Tv's & they both have light bleeding? You think the technology Is there to correct this, as consumers we need to stand together on issue's like this & demand better products!