Backlight Bleed. Swapped. Perfect!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by nathanjbrown, Mar 18, 2011.

1. nathanjbrown macrumors regular

I just thought I'd take a moment to share a positive story regarding the iPad's budding reputation for backlight bleed.

My first 64GB Wifi had terrible "flashlights" shining in from all sides; backlight bleed at its finest.

I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment through the Apple Store iPhone app (love it) and arrived a minute or two early for my Wednesday appointment. The gentleman checking people in for their appointments - Adam at the Apple store on Stockton in San Francisco - was delightfully pleasant. He logged a few notes in their system as we chatted and then asked if he could take a preliminary look at the issue.

In the bright lighting of the Apple store, the backlight bleed was impossible for him to see.

No problem. He immediately passed me along to a Genius Bar rep - Diana - and she took the iPad into the back room. She came out 30 seconds later and said, "Yep. That's a problem." She then informed me that their stock situation was poor and she'd work to get me a "retail replacement" ASAP (she also offered a "service replacement," but I expressed concern with that option and she completely understood).

Thursday morning I had my new iPad in hand; factory sealed and ready for a fresh sync. I powered it up last night and, per usual, was presented with the "Connect to iTunes" screen (it was at this moment on my first iPad 2 when I first spotted the backlight bleed). And...Perfect! Not a flashlight to be seen! There is the slightest bit of backlight "haze" around the edges of the LCD panel at full brightness, but - to be clear - this is normal for an edge lit display (hence the reason I prefer plasma over those darn trendy-thin edge-lit LED LCD televisions).

My advice to those who are dealing with below-standard iPads: Be kind and patient with the folks at the Apple store, but insist on a product that earns your cash. If you're not satisfied with the product, exchange or return it. It's just a gadget. No need to get all bent out of shape if you just can't manage to get an iPad that meets or exceeds your expectations...There's always the iPad 3.

Nathan

P.S. I had planned on following my own advice and was prepared to return my iPad 2 for a full refund had the replacement exhibited the same backlight issue (which is why I objected to the "service replacement"). With that said, I'm delighted that I get to keep my fancy new toy (I mean...*ahem*...productivity tool)! :)

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

Get with the program. You're supposed to post how difficult it was to get helpful assistance and how the replacement was even worse than the first one.

3. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Thanks for sharing it with us!
    I am so glad to hear that not all iPad 2's appear to be affected by this terrible issue. Enjoy your iPad!!! :)

4. iMike97 macrumors member

My iPad 2 has the slightest bit of bleed at the bottom, only when on an all black screen in a dark room. My apple store has had a line everyday. I'm 14 and can only get there at 4:30 at the earliest. Should I bother? It's not really noticable on normal use.

5. SPEEDwithJJ macrumors 65816

SPEEDwithJJ

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Excellent news and very pleased you got a product that's as good as they should all be from a "Premium, World Leading Company" such as Apple.

Perhaps we've hit on a new idea here. Apple ship everything they make to the Apple stores, and the Genius staff are used as quality control employees :D

7. alex2792 macrumors 6502a

My has some backlight bleed that's not really noticeable I'm not sure if I should bother swapping it out since there's a chance that the new iPad will be worse.