Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brostep710

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
I've seen a bunch of post about blacklighht bleed. I don't know anything about it though but is the backlight bleed on my imac bad? Should I return it?

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 445

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
The top left and top right look normal to me (IPS viewing angle deficiencies). The areas in the lower central region, though, don't look good.

Chuckstones

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2012
It's strange isn't it. That all the iMacs with backlight bleed have it at the bottom only!
My 2 returned ones had it only at the bottom and my current one has it slightly!
Seems to fall in line with the yellowing issue being towards the bottom also!!

Cunick

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Hi,

I've just bought my first iMac and was wanting to check with the forum if I have backlight bleed and if so if the amount is 'normal'.

The top two images were taken from 2 feet away at 100% brightness while the second two are with 50% brightness.

I'm obviously a complete newbie ti macs so not really sure what to expect. With £2000 missing from my bank account I'd expect perfection but after reading the forum, I doubt that is possible.

Thanks

Attachments

• 22012013578.JPG
    22012013578.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
  • 22012013579.JPG
    22012013579.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 98
  • 22012013580.JPG
    22012013580.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
  • 22012013581.JPG
    22012013581.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 107

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Cunick that looks excellent to me. If you move to the left-of-central of the iMac, the top left corner "brightness" will disappear, and the same with the right side if you move to the right of center. That is NOT bleed, - just the IPS glow. The slight area at the bottom at 100% brightness is just that - so slight, and let's face it, not seen under normal usage.

I wish Apple would make a support document about the IPS panels and their typicalities.

Cunick

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2013
Thanks WilliamG.

I thought it was that but wanted to make sure before my 14 days to return it were up.

Now to get immersed into my iMac :)

torana355

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I've seen a bunch of post about blacklighht bleed. I don't know anything about it though but is the backlight bleed on my imac bad? Should I return it?

Thanks

Most of that is normal as the ips panels used in iMacs dont have a A-TW polarizer. These are only found in very high end standalone panels. You do have slight bleed at the bottom but it looks well within tolerance.

cmjars

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Thanks WilliamG.

I thought it was that but wanted to make sure before my 14 days to return it were up.

Now to get immersed into my iMac :)

I would be concerned about the yellowing on your screen. I replaced mine that looked like yours.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I'm no expert, but that last screen looks pretty good to me. As others have said, there's viewing angles issues with these IPS screens, and when tilting your head the slightly warmer tint in the bottom of the screen goes away. I also have some slight backlight bleed in the corners when cranking up the brightness, but it's mostly a viewing angle issue. I did not get image rentention, scratches, dead pixels etc. I would not risk getting a new unit with one of these issues, just because you want the illusive "perfect" iMac screen.
Of course, some people here have serious issues with their iMacs which should be addressed. I'm just saying some here obsess over minute details, and that "perfect" screen is pretty hard to come by, if possible at all.

Maybe if people that claim they have an iMac 27'' with 0% backlight bleeding could post a picture of their screen at 100% brightness? I doubt we'll see it... ;)

Last edited:

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
All I see is a colour cast from right to left of the screen but that might just be the camera.

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
So I should return it?

Do you see that the left side of the screen is slightly yellow and the other is bluish green. If not I would say you got a great screen with good blacks and acceptable back light bleed. Ips glow is always going to be the worst but nothing can be done about that.

Ow and btw I was refering to cranks image. So you should do one like that to assess your screen properly. It will also give you a good reference if you choose to exchange.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.