Backlight bleeding: Buy new or refurb?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by myrtlebee, Nov 29, 2011.

1. myrtlebee, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011

myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Back in March, I purchased the iPad 2 online the hour it was released. When I received it, it had the most horrendous backlight bleeding. I sent it back in hopes of purchasing one when the issue was sorted out. It doesn't seem to have been much, but I may take another shot at it. I know 100% that it is either an assembly issue or an inherent design flaw. Because of people reporting such varying degrees of the issue, I am more inclined to think it has something to do with assembly.

If I were to order an iPad 2 from Apple at this point, would one think it wiser to purchase a new unit from the factory or a refurbished unit (in regards to how to best avoid the screen bleeding issue)?

Oh, and please do not tell me not to use the iPad in a dark room because I will be using it to watch letterbox movies in the dark in bed ... and I am also not about to avoid high brightness (I prefer higher brightness) or dark screens simply to ignore the issue. I am simply asking which type of order I should place, in your opinion, to avoid the issue - new or refurb. Has anyone had any experience with both new and refurb units who could share their experience?

Thanks

2. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

new or refurb, doesn't matter, if it bleeds take it back....

also, yeah turn brightness down, dont watch in a dark room, you'll be fine :p;)

3. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Haha ;). I know, but I'm just asking, in your opinion, which would you think would have a lesser chance of the screen bleeding- a refurb because it has been inspected more thoroughly, or a new unit since it's factory fresh? I would think a refurb, since my factory unit had the bleeding. I hate the return and exchange game- I really was hoping to avoid that as best as possible.

4. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I'm not so sure that light bleeding issues are as common now as they were in the beginning of the release, so you're probably just as safe getting one new now.

I did have the same light bleeding issue on my iPad though, and I took it to the Apple store and they were kind enough to exchange it. What they gave me in return was, I assume, a refurbished model that they had on hand. Just the devices were exchanged, no boxes or cables, except the new one had plastic wrap on it. The replacement is just to my liking and perfectly fine as well. It was such an easy thing, it made me appreciate Apple all the more.

I kind of think that the risk is so low compared to the first few months, that you'd be fine either way. Unless there's a slightly different policy on Apple Care and exchanges with refurbished and new-in-box (but I doubt it). If you have an Apple store near you, keep in mind that you can just bring in the new model and tell them about it if you're having any issues.

5. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

I don't think the problem was ever as common/severe as it was made out to be. People were posting about and returning iPads for minor bleeds that their TVs probably also have if you do the "black screen, 100% brightness, black room" test, regardless of whether it actually affected their use.

Mine has a bleed according to that test. I use it in a dark room every single night, several times a night, including apps with a mostly black screen and the occasional letterboxed tv show. I pretty much never actually notice the bleed. No, I don't use it at full brightness at night, because Jesus Christ I'd like to keep my eyesight. High brightness during the day is one thing, but in the dark it's not usable.

I'm not doubting that your bleed was severe, they certainly did exist - but if you read the old threads, most people had never noticed a bleed til they did "the test" and suddenly it was a horrible problem. Even though without the test, they may have owned and used the iPad for years without noticing.

6. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Does not matter. Even on some of the thousands of dollars monitors we use in movie and TV studios we find light bleed if we do that stupid test. The thing is, we never monitor content that way.

Light bleed is a non issue in normal use.

7. OptyCT macrumors 6502

+1

My iPad 2 has backlight bleeding. It doesn't bother me because I never stare at a black screen.

8. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Thanks. It seems to be hit or miss with equal risk, is what I'm seeing- but with slightly better odds than at the beginning. With my luck I'll probably get a bleeder again, but I guess I will have to be willing to play the exchange game if I really want one. I might even flip a coin as to refurb or new!

No. I had the original iPad. There was ZERO bleed. Every other original iPad I've seen has zero bleed. iPad 2 has some kind of assembly or design flaw. I'm pretty sure it is an assembly issue ... uneven distribution of pressure of the screen on edges and components once it is adhered down.

Some people are more perceptive. Bleed bothers me. My iPad (original), again, had NO BLEED. So, it is possible. I don't want bleed. When I had my iPad 2 the bleed was evident in a dim room at half brightness and was evident in a bright room at full brightness. I should be able to use my iPad any way I want without such a flaw.

The only "test" I needed to perform was to watch a letterbox movie as I normally do, and use the dark videos app, and it was evident. No test needed.

I experienced it myself and saw it on every display model at my nearest Apple Store, which is 45 minutes away. It is a real issue. I asked, please, for people to refrain with this mantra and simply give me advice. Now, for you three, who evidently acknowledge that bleed is present on some units at varying degrees, would you suggest I go for a new or refurb unit to avoid any possible issues?

9. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I tend to buy Apple Refurbs for iPads and iPods......They have never done wrong by me so I'd always suggest refurb for things like this, plus save some $.

I buy my Mac's and iPhones new, dont know why i do these and not my iPad's or Nano's and Classic

10. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I've seen posts here and outside of this thread implying that many of the complaints about light bleed are overblown, and it's common with this kind of device and TVs and similar.

In response, I can say that even my MBPro has a small bit of this going on at the very bottom of its screen, and to the degree that it's there, it's not a big deal. But if I ever bought any device, a television or computer or iPad, that had it as bad as the first iPad that I traded in, I would have returned it just the same. It's not that it's an unheard of and uncommon issue, it's that these had it bad enough to not want to live with it after paying for them.

11. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

I had a launch day iPad 2 and it had terrible light bleed. Returned it for another and it had the same issue. I just recently bought another about two weeks ago brand new and there's literally no back light bleeding. Maybe one tiny spot, if that. I would definitely say that it has improved over time.

12. WilliamG macrumors 604

It's luck of the draw. Some are worse than others, but I've yet to see a single iPad without some bleed. Usually it's only noticeable with the lights off and the backlight up.

But it's not just the iPad with this issue. I've had TouchPads and Blackberry PlayBooks in the office, and both exhibit similar bleed in the dark with their IPS displays. Is it unfortunate? Yes. But is it unique to the iPad? Absolutely not.

13. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Thank you to everyone who posted giving their advice. I'm simply going to wait for the iPad 3. It's still luck of the draw. Plus, I don't need it now, it's simply a want. I cannot put up with the (possibly) inevitable exchanges to get one that satisfies me. It's only a few months until a refresh - and with the article out earlier today regarding the possibility of a price drop for the 2 after the 3's introduction with a retina display, it makes sense to me to wait and see at this point.

14. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

The point is, the odds of a repeat of your experience are very low no matter which route you go - lower than the volume of forum posts on the topic would lead you to believe. So stop obsessing over a problem that is unlikely to reoccur and buy what you want.

15. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

It is very likely to reoccur. But, I'm done with this thread.

16. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

(except that, it very truly seems that it's not.)

17. myrtlebee thread starter macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

[(False.)]