Backlight Bleeding iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Matrickser, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Matrickser macrumors newbie

Today I received the new iPad and had to find extreme backlight bleeding. The white is shown not homogeneous. Anyone who has encountered something similar?

Attached Files:

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Whats your brightness at? Some of them are coming hot off the press from Foxconn and the adhesive hasn't settled yet, id give it a few days.

3. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

Man, that's pretty bad. I'd swap it out when apple has some in stock (I've read they do now).

Interesting is that the iPad 2's that we got have absolutely ZERO light bleed, not a trace. This scares me

4. andross77 macrumors regular

I would never take the time to do such a weird test to find something wrong with a product I buy that I couldn't notice in REGULAR use.

I tell you this in your thread because......you shouldn't either :D Life will be simpler, your anxiety level and blood pressure will go down, and you will ENJOY your day!

You can thank me later...

5. Matrickser thread starter macrumors newbie

100% white/brightness (iPad2 left and iPad3 right), and 100% black/brightness

6. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

Why start a new thread when you already posted in the other backlight bleeding thread.

7. alFR macrumors 68020

8. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

It's good he took the time to look for this issue. Ever watched a movie on your iPad? This is the most noticable flaw. Those bleeding spots show with the black bars on top and bottom of your movie :eek:

9. xyphr3 macrumors member

Betcha can't post once (making fun of the Lay's potato chip commercial in case anyone else is half way alseep like me)

10. iMacC2D, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  11. bmnkvld macrumors newbie

I was terrified about this when I bought my iPad2 a year ago. Soon as i got home i checked for the bleeding. Unfortunately, mine was bleeding too. As the ipad was sold out everywhere i could not swap my ipad, so i decided to hold on to it for a while. In all honesty, i simply forgot the "problem" existed. You will never notice it under normal usage, as you will never use 100% brightness in a dark room. I swear this will never effect normal usage (although yours seems a bit extreme)

12. Pipper99 macrumors 68000

Pipper99

My iPad 2 backlight bleed is worse, and it's the best of several that I tried last year.

13. Matrickser thread starter macrumors newbie

What bothers me is that that is a white background is not represented homogeneously. And in dark scenes, it also interferes with even brightness at 50%. Compared to the iPad2 this is a regressive.

14. FearlessFreep macrumors 6502a

With buyers like this, the refurbs should be out in no time!

OP: Exchange it if you want. Don't come on here and complain if it isn't acceptable to you. If you're wondering if it is a bad problem, then you answered your own question in the first place.

15. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

Me too. My iPad 2 has bleeding but I completely forgot about it. It's really not noticeable during normal usage.

16. tekchic macrumors 65816

tekchic

I'm just curious, but does anyone actually use the iPad at 100% brightness? If I get much past 50 it feels like the sun blaring in my eyes. :)

Hope it's just the adhesive needing more cure time.

17. ClarkWGrizwald macrumors member

Oh... Hey... anyone remember my post? The one that got downvotes? Lmao..

18. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

That sucks!! As bad as it was with the iPad 2, you'd think they would have addressed that.

19. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Here we go again... returned 5 iPad 2s for really bad backlight bleeding last year and now this :(

How much time do I have to get an exchange? Have no Apple care.

Attached Files:

20. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

Incredible. I thought they would have remedied this. It is obviously because of design/ manufacturing. It is not faulty panels. Just like the 2 was packed to the gills and the glass sandwiched on produced an uneven distribution of pressure around the perimeter of the screen where the bezel meets. Try it yourself- press along the bezel close to the bleed spots and you will be able to make it better or worse depending on pressure distribution.

I thought perhaps the slight change in thickness with the new iPad was an attempt to remedy the situation by creating more leeway for the components to rest properly with even pressure distribution. I guess I was wrong. I could not deal with the 2's bleeding, so I purchased an original iPad and I am happy. No bleed. Not on my original iPad or my sister's. It is a design flaw, and for those who enjoy watching letterbox movies, it is unacceptable. I will wait for the next redesign.

Apple is praising this incredible retina display, only to have a faulty design or manufacturing process ruin it with light bleed? I don't understand.

21. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip but didn't work. When I press on the sides the backlight bleed gets worse and back to the previous state when releasing the pressure. I am returning mine next week.

22. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

My backlight is fine everywhere but the right hand side.

It actually looks like the screen is caving into the middle, leaving some of the backlight exposed.

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I wasnt saying that it would get better permanently- its not a fix, I was simply implying that you could see for yourself that it is due to pressure distribution varying in certain spots and that's what causes the bleed. You being able to make it worse by pressing and releasing to make it better (or back to the way it was) was exactly what I was talking about. Sorry, should have made that clearer. Definitely return it.

24. mrt209 macrumors 6502

Ah okay. Yeah returning it on Monday. Thinking about just getting a refund and waiting for a while to see if Apple fixes the screen issues.

25. Smug Boy macrumors member

I believe the iPad comes with a 1 year hardware warranty and 90 days of technical support.