Backlight bleeding.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Flashing Fi, Mar 8, 2008.

1. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Hey guys. I've had this MBP since last november and thought I can live with the backlight bleed (it's on the left hand side and it's very annoying). Well, I can't live with it. This screen is just horrid. My old MBP (by 3 weeks) had an LG screen and was perfect, this one is made by some other manufacturer (it's not Samsung).

Honestly, I should be eligible to get this replaced. My old MBP didn't have a backlight bleed. The backlight bleed is just so bad. It's not even consistent. I wish I had a camera to take a picture of it, but I don't.

So, what should I do? I'm not by an Apple Store today, but will be by one tomorrow, and I live by one. Would it be possible for me to go in there (after making an appointment), show them the backlight bleed and instead of leaving it there (I'm a student and this issue does not prevent me from using the laptop), take it back with me and have them call me when they get the new screen in? That way I don't have to be without it for weeks while they wait to get a screen in.

Also, this screen has the yellowing issue, and it's really beginning to bother me too, but the backlight bleeding should be enough to get it replaced.

Comments, suggestions on how to get them to replace it? I'm just scared that they'll go "well, you've had the laptop for over 4 months, you should have taken in in when you saw it."

2. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

I'm not sure what "bleeding" looks like but just tell them it just started happening. No shame in lying.

3. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Backlight bleeding is something that doesn't just occur. It's usually there from day 1.

If you don't know what backlight bleeding is, here is a picture:

[​IMG]

You can see in the top corners it's "white." That's the backlight bleeding through the edges of the panel.

Mine is worse than that picture. I can see it in what I consider normal home lighting. Right now, I can't see it because I have a ton of sunlight coming through the room I'm in, but if I go into my room and turn on the light, I can still see the backlight.

4. PDE macrumors 68020

that looks like a samsung desktop display....

5. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's not my screen. Just an example of what backlight bleeding looks like.

6. aforty macrumors 65816

aforty

Interesting. I would still contact them and say that you tried to live with it but the fact of the matter is that you just can't. The worse that can happen is that they do turn you down, no harm in trying. Good luck and let us know what happens.

7. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

That's actually a Sharp tv. I have one, it's awesome :D

8. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

You see, I don't know what would cause them to turn me down?

What should I do to maximize my chance of success? One of my concerns is the lighting will wash out the display, making the bleeding impossible to see. Will they take it to a back room where it's darker?

9. MarkW19 macrumors 65816

My MBP (last gen) has the same problem, although it's mainly on the top and bottom. I'm hoping my Penryn will be better when it arrives on Monday!

But yes, they should sort it for you. Say that you've just recently changed working conditions and it has only just stood out for you.

I doubt they'll volunteer to take it into suitable conditions so that the fault shows up for them, but you can always insist.

10. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you.

I guess if they don't see out there, I will insist that they take it into more realistic lighting (lets face it, 50 florescent bulbs in a room is not something we encounter every day).

11. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

Most laptop LCD screens have some bleed, and it's almost (if not entirely) impossible to find a MBP without at least a little backlight bleed. Still, it shouldn't be anywhere near as bad as in that picture, and you said yours is even worse.

Mine, like just about everyone else's, has a little bit of bleed (mostly in the bottom 0.75-inch of the screen), but it's only noticeable on a solid black or solid white background in a dark room. If mine were anywhere near as bad as what's in that picture (to say nothing of it being even worse), I wouldn't accept anything but complete cooperation from Apple in getting that screen replaced.

To maximize your chances of success:

(1) Be always polite but always firm.
    (2) If you purchased the extended AppleCare warranty, be sure that's the first fact out of your mouth.
    (3) Use the word "unacceptable" in the most polite way possible.
    (4) Again, remaining polite, don't ask them if they will replace the screen. Instead, nicely tell them that the screen needs to be replaced.

And in general, if they don't have the part in stock (which they won't, in this case), they will let you take the machine with you and then just bring it back in for repair when they get the part in.

12. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. I didn't know that they will allow you to take the computer with you. I figured they would if the problem doesn't really affect the use of the laptop. Also, I will be sure to use your tips.

Pretty much the entire left side of the screen is one big "bleed." It looks horrible and so noticeable in normal lighting. I can accept a little bleeding (I have a cheapo viewsonic that has some bleeding, and it's perfectly livable), but this bothers me when I'm watching movies, and such.

13. calvy macrumors 65816

In my experience, they won't do that for you unless you are a Pro Care member. So essentially, you have to bribe them to let you take your computer home while the part is being shipped to them, and to supposedly work on it before all other regular customers.

14. The Flashing Fi thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just took my laptop to the Apple Store. The guys were very understanding and they took it to the back room to look at it (the lighting didn't make the bleeding show), and sure enough, they saw the problem. They're going to replace the monitor. I hope the new monitor doesn't have any issues.

15. rjp macrumors regular

So what happend?

Are you happy with your new monitor?

Who is it made by?