Backlight Doesn't fully turn off in XP

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by aiterum, May 3, 2008.

1. aiterum macrumors 6502

aiterum

This is something that has happened since my initial installation of XP on my bootcamp partition. Whenever the light sensor detects low light, the backlight turns on at full blast. This is normal. However, when I go to turn the backlight off completely (as to save battery or if I'm watching a movie in windows and I don't want to see the keyboard lit up) it turns it down, but not completely off. Even though the backlight indicator claims that it is down the whole way, it never completely turns off. In OSX when I do this, it turns it completely off whenever I set it to the same setting.

has anyone had something similar in their MBP or any ideas of what is wrong? Is it just something with the drivers?

2. wgilles macrumors 6502

wgilles

First, have you upgraded to boot camp 2.1? There is a download on Apple's download page. I had this problem with the old boot camp, but if I clicked the brightness down button a couple times after it was down all the way it would fade away and turn off. Hope that helps.

3. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I have this problem in Vista too. Yes, Boot Camp 2.1 is installed. Hm, seems we both have the early 2008 MBP's...anyone else having this problem with an early 2008 MBP?

4. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

yes I have, but this has happened on both versions of bootcamp, so I'm guessing it has nothing to do with that

5. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

I hate to bump this thread but since the time of the original posting, I have reinstalled windows XP and updated everything and this still happens with the keyboard back light. Is this still happening to any other Penryn MBP owners?

6. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Yes, this happens in Vista as well. Nothing's changed. Boot Camp is pretty buggy.

7. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

bumping this thread again
    I was wondering if this issue is solved or not.
    I'm having the same problem now.

many thanks

8. oldio macrumors newbie

Does anyone have a solution ? This is also an issue on the new MPB (late 2008) under xp.

9. A E I O U macrumors newbie

A E I O U

now i have the same problem on my uni-allu MBP, any solution?

10. neenja macrumors 6502

11. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

12. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

x2. There is no solution to this. If you want to blame someone, blame Apple. They're responsible for the crap drivers. I can only hope Snow Leopard introduces Boot Camp 3.0.

13. aiterum thread starter macrumors 6502

aiterum

It's pretty disapointing that nothing has been done about this from Apple, although I guess I can understand that it really isn't one of their biggest concerns. They wouldn't want you to be able to run Microsoft software too well