Backlight keyboard - change the colour

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EvryDayImShufln, Jun 6, 2007.

1. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Hi

It hit me today that changing the colour of the macbook pro backlight keyboard would be really cool. I'm thinking changing it to something like light blue, since that would go nice with the silver finish.

Something like this (edited crappily from original image, below)

[​IMG]

http://techepics.com/files/disco_crap.jpg

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

3. negatv1 macrumors 6502

I'll stick with the subtle coolness of the standard soft white backlit keys. Don't want to get all "Dell-like" with the goofy blue/orange/green LED's and whatnot.

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

5. yagran macrumors 6502a

yes it would!

6. maxp1 macrumors regular

This might actually solve a problem that I have. Sometimes the keyboard backlight adjusts to be exactly the same contrast as the keys in the light. That means that I effectively have a keyboard with no symbols. I can adjust it manually but it's a pain. Having the color be different would solve that problem.

7. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Well my idea was to buy a spare keyboard and modify that one, then switch it up with mine. I couldn't find any details on where to buy a spare keyboard or even how to switch it, so maybe the keyboard is attached to the top panel?

8. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Like just mentioned, use Lab Tick. Then you are in control of the brightness.

Original post: go buy a dell XPS

9. keenkreations macrumors regular

You can buy a new keyboard anywhere online - google it. However, it is going to require you to take apart your MPB, not for the faint of heart. It is not like the iBook where it simply comes off, you have to take the whole top case off.
    As with messing around with the LED lights, personally I do not think it is worth the hassle.

10. EvryDayImShufln thread starter macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

By the way, a dell XPS would not look nearly as cool as this. And secondly the idea is that it is a soft color.

I see all you guys complaining that off white is bad, but if apple did it, you KNOW you would eat it up.

I think a light blue (not as intense or as "teal" as in the pic) would look really nice contrasted with the silver.

11. Santyman macrumors newbie

doesn't somebody make an application that can edit the voltage being sent to your LEDs? thats all that is required to change their color, right?

12. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

No. Changing the voltage supplied to an LED will not cause it to change colors.

This is a pretty old thread. I wouldn't mind seeing if someone actually did this mod to their old MBP or the current MBP. What size are the LEDs and how many are there? I'm sure it wouldn't be that hard to desolder them and then solder up colored LEDs.

13. jampat macrumors 6502a

The actual chemical elements used in an LED determine the color, the amount of power controls intensity (to an upper limit). That is why some colors are more expensive, they have more expensive elements in them.

14. Santyman macrumors newbie

Ah. Thank you for clarifying that. In the old MBP, wasn't there just one LED that lit up all the keys, or were there multiple LEDs behind the keys?