Backlight on keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcooke, Apr 16, 2012.

1. mcooke, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

mcooke macrumors member

Hi, I am new to the MacRumors site. Always come on here to find answers but this one I am having issues finding an answer.
    My keyboard does not light up on my account, on other accounts on the same MacBook the keyboard lights up. I have looked at the System Preferences on every account and they are all the same as mine... Why won't mine light up??
    Am I missing something or am I just going to the wrong place to try and make my keyboard light up?

2. east85, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

east85 macrumors 65816

east85

If you are on OS X Lion you may have an issue with software on your hardware. After updating to OS X Lion I had to go into System Preferences -> Keyboard and uncheck "Automatically Illuminate Keyboard In Low Light" for the backlit function to work.

That's all I got.

Edit: After you uncheck it, press and hold the F6 key to see if it lights up.

3. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

How do I find out if I'm on OS X Lion.
    I think I have the latest, if I'm correct it's the snow leopard...

4. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Click the Apple icon in the upper left hand corner and select "About this Mac". Under the bold "Mac OS X" there is a version number listed.

10.7 is OS X Lion, which is the latest consumer release by Apple. If you are on Snow Leopard my bit of advice probably won't do you any good.

5. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

It's 10.7.3

& my F6 key is num lock. F1 & F2 are my brightness.

6. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

Okay, you are on OS X Lion. You can go ahead and attempt what I posted and report back if you want. You can access system preferences by typing it in on Finder (the magnifying glass at the top of the screen) and clicking on the result.

----------

Oh okay, well the symbols on the keys for lowering/increasing backlight should look very much like the F10 & F9 buttons in the following image.

[​IMG]

7. mcooke thread starter macrumors member

Oh my, for being a Mac user for 10 years now I should have known that the screen brightness & keyboard brightness have different keys. I am new to this MacBook so am not totally used to the controls as I am with my desktop. Thank you for your time! F9 & F10 are the keyboard brightness & I just so happened to have mine all the way down. Thank you! I probably wouldn't have figured this out myself.

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

No problem! Glad to be of help. I honestly was pretty worried that mine didn't work at all when I first got my Mac with the backlit keyboard for the same reason. Haha.