Backlight problems

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ron Miel, Nov 23, 2010.

1. Ron Miel macrumors newbie

I've just acquired a used iPod Touch. (Part of a job lot that I bought). It seems to work okay, except I can't make the backlight come on. I presume that there's some setting that switches it on and off but I can't find it. I have done it on other models, but I can't see any backlight timer on the menus.

I know it isn't broken. It did light up for about a second, then went dark again.

If it makes any difference, it's a second generation, specifically model no A1288.

2. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

go to settings and see if the backlight is turned up..perhaps that will work

3. nicksmolenski macrumors regular

nicksmolenski

hit the settings app, then brightness. then pull that sucker up to the brightness you want.

4. grindcor macrumors newbie

I'd venture a guess that you either had some slight water damage to the unit or exposed it to high humidity, because these signs are indicative of slight water damage to the logic board. The backlight might turn on for a second or split second, and then will shut off. Unfortunately, this is impossible to fix.

I've tried to repair this issue before on a 3G version by replacing the LCD screen thinking that some circuit was broken inside of the LCD assembly, but that did not fix the problem. There is a short circuit inside the power supply to the LCD assembly on the logic board and anything short of replacing the logic board, which is likely the same cost as the entire ipod/iphone will not fix this problem. Sorry for the bad news.