Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I've been trying to find info on this because I know I read about it somewhere a long time ago.

I just got my white refurbished 2.2 GHz MacBook on Friday, and tonight I got my first good look at Apple logo and lid in the dark. There is light penetrating the lid's casing around the bottom left corner, near the logo itself, and in a few other places. Is this at all normal, aside from the fact that it makes sense with the white plastic? Can anyone else with a white MacBook confirm or deny this phenomenon? It's hard to capture with a camera, but I'll try to post pics.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
I've been trying to find info on this because I know I read about it somewhere a long time ago.

I just got my white refurbished 2.2 GHz MacBook on Friday, and tonight I got my first good look at Apple logo and lid in the dark. There is light penetrating the lid's casing around the bottom left corner, near the logo itself, and in a few other places. Is this at all normal, aside from the fact that it makes sense with the white plastic? Can anyone else with a white MacBook confirm or deny this phenomenon? It's hard to capture with a camera, but I'll try to post pics.

Its totally normal...don't worry about it.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC

I don't understand where you're saying the light is coming from. You say "around the bottom left corner", but then you say it's near the logo which is in the center.

Basically, the back of your monitor should only have light coming out of the Apple logo. That's it. No other area should have light.

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
There was a thread about this a few months back with white MB.

You are saying in the dark that light shines through the case? When closed are opened? The light from the LCD will shine through white MB, but probably not black MB. I had the same thing on my MB.

DMC-12

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 16, 2007
Nashville, TN
I don't understand where you're saying the light is coming from. You say "around the bottom left corner", but then you say it's near the logo which is in the center.

Basically, the back of your monitor should only have light coming out of the Apple logo. That's it. No other area should have light.

Ok, I couldn't get it to show up on camera, so I took a picture of a MacBook and did some rough editing to show what it looks like. Keep in mind that the glowing light is exaggerated to show what's going on, but it's in exactly the right areas, only too faint to really show up on camera.

2175853478_5fa1aed51e.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.