Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balang47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
Ive done a bit of research on this but there seem to be a few different kinds of problems that people can get with the backlights on a Macbook. I have a Macbook 13.3" Black and the backlight turns off after 20 or so seconds, i can still use the computer if the backlight is on its lowest setting. Ive read that its most probably the inverter that needs replacing and was wondering if anyone could confirm this or is there another way of fixing it??

thank you

AshMan

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Could be inverter. Have you checked the energy saver settings and orscreen brightness controls?

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
I have a 2006 Macbook and had inverter problems. The symptoms were slightly different:- on the highest brightness setting the backlight would flicker. But not on lower settings.

So I think you have an inverter problem, but I am not sure. I hope so - inverters are cheap to replace, LCDs are not! The replacement job looks quite complicated though - you have to really tear into that Mac. I am quite electronics-handy but I would not attempt it.

I think the only way you will be sure will be to replace it and see if it fixes it

balang47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
I have a 2006 Macbook and had inverter problems. The symptoms were slightly different:- on the highest brightness setting the backlight would flicker. But not on lower settings.

So I think you have an inverter problem, but I am not sure. I hope so - inverters are cheap to replace, LCDs are not! The replacement job looks quite complicated though - you have to really tear into that Mac. I am quite electronics-handy but I would not attempt it.

I think the only way you will be sure will be to replace it and see if it fixes it

Have you fixed yours or just use it at low brightness settings?

Ive done all the Energy saver, PRAM and so on resets, but nothing. It does look quite time consuming to swap out but your basically only using a screw driver so, if the problem gets any worse and after ive spoken to apple i may attempt to replace it...

I noticed there were a few on ebay but the prices were a little low, anyone think their ok?

l.a.rossmann

macrumors 65816
May 15, 2009
Brooklyn
It could be the inverter, the backlight in the screen, the cable connecting the inverter to the logic board(if it's the model where the cable sits like a piece of cinammon toast crunch instead of like a flat rectangle), or the board.

Most likely the inverter. Order the inverter board that includes the cable that attaches it to the logic board.

balang47

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 7, 2008
I find it weird that I can use the computer no problem on the lowest or second lowest setting. but anything higher it will turn off. Maybe the inverter is worn and cant handle the higher voltage.

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
Those symptoms are almost certainly caused by the inverter.

Take your Mac to an Apple Store. Apple's price isn't outrageous for inverter replacement; around $180 + tax, in most cases.

If your Apple Store quotes higher ($280 or so, which they sometimes do), use an Apple repair shop who will do it for closer to $180 :).

fluffyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2007
The inverter installation is a lengthy process. I suppose some folks would find it to be a "do it yourself" project, but to be fair, there's not a much more painful repair you can do on a MacBook. Without the proper tools and experience, it'd be quite a pain.

Pax

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2003
Have you fixed yours or just use it at low brightness settings?

I solved it by giving the MB to my girlfriend and buying a new MBP :)
But I think mostly she uses it 1 notch below full brightness where it is fine

AE50P

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2010
I have a 2006 white first generation and i had a similar problem. I took it into the apple store and got it fixed for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.