Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bravozero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
NoVA
Wanted to get feedback from folks here. Wife and I finally got new phones after 3 years with our 6S+, been great phones (although the software sucks at times). We went to Best Buy and got the XR in 128GB, and while it's a nice phone, my OCD immediately noticed on both phones that the screen up top where the notch spits the display is considerably dimmer than the rest of the screen.

Now I understand that Apple moved the backlight to the bottom of the display, fair enough. However with a much larger screen, it's so noticeable that I honestly would prefer my 6S+ which is damn near perfect. I wanted to see if anyone else has this same thing on their XR and if mine are faulty or that's just how the devices are built, which if that's the case they're going back. I've had horrible luck with OLEDs so no XS or Max for me.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
Wanted to get feedback from folks here. Wife and I finally got new phones after 3 years with our 6S+, been great phones (although the software sucks at times). We went to Best Buy and got the XR in 128GB, and while it's a nice phone, my OCD immediately noticed on both phones that the screen up top where the notch spits the display is considerably dimmer than the rest of the screen.

Now I understand that Apple moved the backlight to the bottom of the display, fair enough. However with a much larger screen, it's so noticeable that I honestly would prefer my 6S+ which is damn near perfect. I wanted to see if anyone else has this same thing on their XR and if mine are faulty or that's just how the devices are built, which if that's the case they're going back. I've had horrible luck with OLEDs so no XS or Max for me.

Is it just the perimeter of the notch, or the whole top of the phone including the notch area and bunny areas are dimmer? CUrious

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
It's basically from the notch up on the sides, if that makes sense.

So landscape in safari you see it dimmer notch to the left onward ?

Mine isn’t like that. Might be worth a display repair at Genius Bar. Or Best Buy exchange if not a messy carrier deal/ general process

I have a weird but mostly unnoticeable faint line I see near the edge of left spine / bezel in portrait on parts of the top and bottom but don’t see it at all on white screens or most settings. It’s like where a subtle light bleed cuts off may not be a “line” that’s just the way I’m describing it. Have to hunt for it but just showed up one day. Uniformity and tint and brightness good so I may ride it out instead of play panel lottery. Unless it gets worse somehow

At least I have a reason for a display repair down the road if need be.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Sometimes I wonder if at least 80% of the people coming to MacRumors suffer from OCD?!

Reactions: jtrue28

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
When I'm paying between $750-1000+ on a phone, absolutely I'm going strive for perfection.

That is not called OCD! You’ve paid out of your own desire, nobody forced you to do that. Patients of OCD don’t have control over their own behaviour and it’s a really difficult condition to live with.

Ps. Perfection does not exist. There’s always room for improvement. Perfection will mean we have reached the epitome of technological and biological evolution, which we are far from achieving any time soon.

Reactions: jtrue28 and Cryates

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When I'm paying between $750-1000+ on a phone, absolutely I'm going strive for perfection.

Or, you don’t look for defects intentionally. One member returned _16 iPhones_ and never found the perfect one, so what does that tell you about a phone that has mass produced into the millions? That defects are natural process on that level of production.

bravozero

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2015
NoVA
Wow. Tough crowd on this forum. Diehard Apple fans take things too personal. Disregard my inquiry I'll just take the phones back and live with our 6s+ phones until they die.

And to the person above lecturing me about OCD... I have also been a perfectionist with car body panel and door alignment, computer screen uniformity, gap and rattle between my AR receivers, how dirty my car and home is... I live it every day, please lecture elsewhere.

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Wow. Tough crowd on this forum. Diehard Apple fans take things too personal. Disregard my inquiry I'll just take the phones back and live with our 6s+ phones until they die.

And to the person above lecturing me about OCD... I have also been a perfectionist with car body panel and door alignment, computer screen uniformity, gap and rattle between my AR receivers, how dirty my car and home is... I live it every day, please lecture elsewhere.

I’m that person. Perfectionist and OCD are completely different things. Let’s not use them casually and interchangeably. A bit of knowledge will help rather than dismissing it as a “lecture”.

Reactions: 44267547

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
Well if the backlight isn’t even from top to bottom then it’s a uniformity issue, it is uneven backlighting. Obviously a defect.

If previous models never had this issue, then you shouldn’t have to deal with new units like these that are supposed to be the superior iteration of it’s predecessors.

If displays matter that much, then exchange it if it bothers you.

There are perfect displays out there, so don’t fret.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.