Backlights?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Chickenwings, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Chickenwings macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, although we've converted to Mac a year or so ago I'm still very unskilled in the ways of the Mac...so I really appreciate patience and understanding for noob questions.

So I got this brilliant idea....I can justify an Ipad mini if I use it as an alarm clock (yeah yeah, I know alarm clocks run about 20 bucks - grin) so then I get my spanky new Ipad and load a recommended alarm app on it, and set it so that the screen never times out and shut off the light happy in my genius. But...... Apparently these things are backlit to a degree and I will never be able to darken the screen so that only the clock shows without a partially lit screen?

Any help? Is the screen always lit? Do I need to go get that 20 dollar alarm clock?

Thanks everyone!

2. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

I’m not entirely clear what you want.

If you want to see the clock all the time, you’d just keep it running. If you don’t, then let the iPad sleep. Some apps will wake up the iPad when your alarm goes off. The one I use is called Best Alarm Clock, but I’m sure there are others.

3. Chickenwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply and sorry for not being clear.

What I'm looking for is my ipad to be fully dark except for the numbers of the clock. Right now, the entire screen is lit somewhat which lights up the room more than i'd like.

I never noticed this with ambient light but when it's dark it is very noticable.

Thanks again.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

I use Rise which is dark enough for me. It has a nice interface as well so might be worth a look.

5. Chickenwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Great, I'll have a look, thanks.

6. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

It was free a few weeks ago. Not sure now.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I use Rise too but also use Nightstand Central (they have a free add supported test App too). It lets you dim the screen with a simple up or down swipe (Rise you have to go into settings). You can also pick your background picture(s). Pick a dark one for the most effect. I find it gets darker than Rise.

Keep in mind that one of the limitations of backlight LCD is it's a passive technology and in older to create "black" it must block as much light as it can. This is one area OLED excels in.

8. Chickenwings thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone looks like I"m back to a regular alarm clock...dang :(

Should have found out about the LED technology hurdle first!

Now can I justify keeping it to use as an e-reader?

Thanks for all your help!

9. samh macrumors 6502

Yeah this is definitely not a limitation of the iPad per se but just how these kinds of screens work in general.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

OLED: Next years perfect display technology over 10 years running.:D

I hope Apple (despite Tim Cook's statement) is R&Ding hard on OLED tech. With so many promising advantages like longer battery life, wider viewing angles, slimmer design, no backlight bleed, Uniformity and of course most applicable here a true off black state while on (also you can turn on only select pixels while leaving all other off).