Backlit home button?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Yumunum, May 22, 2011.

1. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Am I the only one who's wanted this for so long? I spend a lot of time on my iPhone/iPad at night in the dark, and I always have to pause for a second to feel which side the home button is on. Seeing as both devices have the same amount of bezel space on each side, it does make things annoying, and hard to tell which side is which. Just like we need backlit keys on a keyboard, I know want a backlit home button. Most Android phones already have this, Apple needs to hop along the bandwagon! (But for heaven's sake I hope Apple doesn't go to capacitive buttons, ever.) Anyways, am I the only one who's been wanting this? Anyone else feel the same?

---
    Sent from my second generation, tabular Apple product

2. TEHi macrumors regular

It wouldn't look apple enough... This is why it doesn't have a charging led neither, it makes the phone look generic

3. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

^ This.

4. iFiend macrumors 65816

What I want is a backlit home button that "pulses" a glow when there is a notification. Someone made a mock up of this in an iOS 5 thread a few months ago. I love the idea.

5. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Saying that a charging LED would make the iPhone "look generic" is idiotic.

6. iFiend macrumors 65816

This (-name calling :))

7. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Now that would be neat. :apple:

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

When your phone is charging you can just press the home button to see where the battery level is at or battery percentage? Why would you need a charing LED? A flashing red (or any color for that matter) LED would cheapen the phone's look.

9. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Agreed!

I like the phone how it is. I don't have a problem finding my home button and really don't want glowing stuff added on to it.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

If it looked similar to the pulsing sleep light on the MBP, then I feel like it wouldn't look so bad. But only if it came from the aluminum band (which I feel like is unlikely because they would most likely have to increase the thickness of the phone). A pulsing home button reminds me too much of the Nexus One and not very Apple-like.

11. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Hate to say it but the iPhone IS generic

It would be a great place for a notification LED for notifications if the iPhone had notifications.:eek:

12. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

I don't see this happening.

But I do hope Apple finds a way to incorporate a backlit Apple logo on the back of the iPhone

13. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I would VASTLY prefer doing that multiple times a day rather than having my phone glow at me all night long.

14. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Yeah that would be super annoying.

15. iFiend macrumors 65816

Now this would be cool :)

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

So you want it so that you don't have to spend time deciding which end of the phone is which? :confused:

A backlit home button would not work well, especially if you're trying to watch a movie in the dark.

17. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

Obviously there would be some dimming option. I have a feeling Apple might go all touch with the next home button which makes this even more plausible.

And +1 on the glowing Apple logo!

18. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

It wouldn't bother me since I let it charge face down on my night stand already (I don't use a dock). This prevents the light from the LCD waking me up when a notification comes in. That drove me nuts until I figured out why my phone was doing that (not easy to figure out when you're groggy at 3am).

I also saw the mockup of the square on the home button pulsing and it looked exactly like something Apple would do as a notifications indicator. I loved the idea.

19. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

I would love some type of led notification light. Quick glance from across the room to see if I have a missed call/voicemail would be great instead of having to turn on the phone each time. Home button would be fine with me.

20. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Except the MacBook Pro has charging LEDs. I actually disagree. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see LED tech used on the next iPhone.

21. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

I'd like a backlit home button! I'd also like a message notifier in the top corner of the phone like the BB has.

Sent from Ashleigh's iPhone using Tapatalk!

22. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

I don't like the glowing Apple idea, or the backlit capacitive home button. They are things that sound cool at first but in real world use the would end up seeming cheap and tacky. The glowing Apple sign will be under your hand if you are holding your phone, meaning the only thing it will do is waste power or break. The capacitive home button would be too easy to press accidentally, and the glowing would be a distraction in the dark.

Every side of the phone has a distinguishable feature to easily determine the top from the bottom.
    Top - lock button
    Left - volume rocker and silent switch
    Right - nothing
    Bottom- 30 pin connector socket

It cant really be that time consuming to work out that if you feel the volume rocker on the right that the phone is upsidedown.