Backlit keyboard almost working: Coke accident aftermath

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by orbited, Jul 1, 2009.

1. orbited macrumors newbie

Accident (or clumsiness) stroke a few days ago. I was cleaning my desk and removed a few half-empty Coke-bottles when suddenly I dropped one and – bam - the brown, sugared liquid was inside my poor Macbook (late 2008). It’s hard to tell exactly how much went in, I saw only a few drops on the keyboard. At the time I didn’t think much about it, but just calmly went for paper and wiped it.

A few hours later I the keys began to stick from the sugar, and using a helpful movie on Youtube, I removed the keys to clean up – with considerable success, I might add.

However yet hours later, as the night fell, I realized that something was wrong with the backlit keyboard. I don’t know how to best explain it.

[​IMG]

Some of the keys are much more illuminated than others. Basically the keys 5, 6, 7, 8, T, Y, G, H, B, (almost a perfect upside-down triangle in the center of the keyboard) have the normal luminosity while all the other keys are really dimmed. Above is an image that, despite difficulties with photographing it in a representative manner.

What I do not understand is why the other keys light up at all? Is there anyone who knows how the light sources are arranged on the Macbook. And, if so, could it be Coke that is dimming the diods? Could the light that I’m seeing be only spill from the working diods?

I realize that my mistake might well cost me money when replacing whatever it is that is broken, obviously out-of-warranty. But I still wanted to hear if there was someone here who have a DIY solution.

Long time listener - first time caller,

/ Jonathan

2. SpeedFleX macrumors 6502

The biggest mistake people make when it comes to liquids and laptops is being impatient.... you should always wait a few days till its dried up, not plugged in and no battery....

It seems you might be lucky that so much is still working, it could be that you still have liquid in there which is causing micro shortages...

how long ago did this happen?

I did this once with on old laptop asus g1 and had to take it completly apart it wouldnt turn on anymore, I found what shorted disconnected it and then it worked again I have not opened the macbook yet but you should be able to just change out the keyboard ;)

http://www.ifixit.com/MacBook-Parts/MacBook-Unibody-Upper-Case-Backlit/IF160-001

good luck

3. orbited thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I know. I probably should have waited longer. But, I was still lucky, the only thing that was affected was the backlight. I've been in contact with an Apple repair center and it turns out that replacing the keyboard isn't all that expensive after all. :)

Still, I'm curious how the light is distributed under the keyboard. Anybody knows?

/ Jonathan