Backlit keyboard 'gaps'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by britabroad, Dec 10, 2008.

1. britabroad macrumors member

britabroad

I have a lot of light escaping around the keys on my MBP - is this normal? I thought maybe they were sitting too high over the frame and tried to check against another one in the Apple store, but the lighting's so bright in there you can't trigger the backlighting to come on. So how does everyone else's look? Gappy? Or do the keys sit low?

2. mAc-warrior macrumors member

mAc-warrior

There is a bit of a gap between the keys and the aluminum frame. Its enough to see the light escaping when sitting a bit back from the computer. The closer you are to it the less light you should see. If you're right above the keyboard you shouldn't see much light escaping except through the letters on the keys, and a small ring around the keys. That's what mine looks like at least.

--mAc

3. smokedog macrumors regular

This is normal and I don't know why Apple didn't close the gap. It makes the keyboard like cheap and I also find it a distraction.

4. svndmvn Guest

I thought you could turn the brightness lower, am I wrong, is it automatic only?
    Anyway, I doubt it's a defect, it's probably supposed to be like that, probably a bad choice for some or many, i think it's the same on the pros and airs, so it's not a price cutting decision.

5. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Its intentional to illuminate the edge of the keys, I happen to like the effect.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Because by closing the gap, the keys are hard to remove and clean. ;)

7. cshen macrumors newbie

8. MowingDevil macrumors 68000

MowingDevil

Absolutely! Good point.

9. britabroad thread starter macrumors member

britabroad

Thanks for the info. As a major sloucher, personally I find the gaps a bit distracting, and it looks a little cheap seeing the mechanism beneath the facade. But hey, I can live with it.

10. That70sGAdawg macrumors 6502

That70sGAdawg

N.Georgia, USA (on the Lake, near the Mountains)
    You CAN turn down (or up) the keyboard lights by using the top row F5 and F6 keys (without pressing the Fn). Turn it down for longer battery life and less light leakage distraction.:D