Backlit Keyboard not working

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by computergeek, Jun 15, 2010.

1. computergeek macrumors member

Hello,

So this has been bugging me for a while but i got my motherboard replaced a while ago and when i got it back the backlight on the keyboard wasn't working. I never thought to much about it cause i just thought it was a setting and i could change it later cause i was very busy with school and needed my laptop back to program on. Anyways a long story short it wasn't a setting, its just not working and i don't what the problem is. Any suggestions

Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did you check System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard > Illuminate keyboard in low light conditions?

3. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Sure did, i don't think its software related.

4. mmdc macrumors newbie

My backlit keyboard is disabled until the light sensor detects a particular level of darkness.

5. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

I understand that but what i am saying is that its activated in the setting and i turn the lights off and it doesn't light up. So i was wondering if anybody might have something else i could do

Thanks again

6. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

You tried using the physical keys on your keyboard to turn it up? f5 and f6 on mine, it's a dash with light rays above it.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When I try that with mine, even though my backlight works fine, I get this:
    Picture 1.jpg

8. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Yep it turns up and down and i get that when there is to much light. Could they have missed a plug when putting it back together..

9. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

i had that happen one day in windows xp but then the next day everything was normal...weird

10. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

11. cyclical macrumors regular

The cable may not have been reconnected to the motherboard (or improperly seated) after the motherboard was replaced.

12. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

resetting the SMC and the PRAM didn't work either I am getting a bit worried now

13. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

I had the same thing happen when my logic board was replaced. If you are comfortable with opening your mac up you can check/reconnect the ribbon cable for the keyboard backlight.

iFixit has a wonderful guide and picture of it: 15" MBP Mid 2010 Backlight Ribbon - Step 23

14. robotmonkey macrumors 6502

Yep, go to whoever "fixed" it and demand that everything is in working order.

15. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

From what i can tell with the picture u sent me there is no ribon connect to the backlit spot could they have forgotten and the ribon is under the logic board :confused:

16. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

So i'm thinking they just forgot to connect the backlit keyboard to the logic board. So i am going to take the left fan out and see if i am able to see the cord under the logic board. I don't really want to take out the entire logic board if i can get away with it. So here's hoping. :(

17. Reapur macrumors regular

I dont understand why you dont just take the computer back to the Apple store and have them fix it ? They caused the problem so they are obligated to fix it. No need to potentially void your warranty by damaging something inside. If your warranty is up then do whatever you want.

Even still, you should have some kind of parts and labor warranty on the work they did on the computer.

18. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Yea the warrenty is up and i checked with them and its going to cost 50 bucks for them to look at it and then whatever labour it cost to fix the laptop. It seems like its going to be a pretty easy job. If not i guess i can live with no backlight.

19. Reapur macrumors regular

How long ago did they replace the logic board? I would really pressure them into fixing what should have been done right in the first place. Its like taking your car the service center to have them install new headlight bulbs, then you leave only to find they didnt plug them in, and when you go back to tell them they didnt do their job, they want to charge you to fix what should have been done by them in the first place, thats total BS and you should totally call them out on it and fight for it to be fixed free of charge.

20. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

Yea I totally agree with you. I was very upset with them to being with. I took it into them on the pretents that a fan was dieing i wanted that replaced. Next thing i know they are calling me telling me that they replaced my mobo. So when i got the laptop back the fan was still making the noise. So i went some where else since they couldn't even fix a buzzing fan. Anyways i am going to call them after work and see if i can get them to fix it for free..

Thanks for the help

21. Reapur macrumors regular

Your mistake was taking it to somewhere 3rd party, you should have just walked right back into the store and told them the fan still was not working, now you have created more problems and complicated the issue. Again how long ago was the logic board replaced? a few weeks? months? a year ago?

As for fixing it your self, do not touch it unless you have exhausted every other possible alternative.

22. computergeek thread starter macrumors member

all fixed. I removed the left fan and the ribon was right there.. so i connected that and turned the macbook back on and it worked.. w00t

Thanks for the help everybody.

Cheers!