Backlit keyboard problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by will0407, Feb 4, 2009.

1. will0407 macrumors 6502a

I just got an MBA from ebay. I turned it on, and tried to turn the backlit keyboard on, but it won't. I've pressed F5/F6 numerous times, but I keep getting the same sign popping up (i've attached a pic)

Can anyone help as to what the source of this problem is and how to fix it.

Attached Files:

2. ZAK248313 macrumors member

It only enables if the rooms dark enough. It has a light censor.

There's a couple of programs out there that you can use to take proper control of it though.

3. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does that mean I can't use the backlit function unless i'm in the dark? My brother has a UK spec air, and he can use the backlit function on his whenever

4. nph macrumors 6502a

This has happened to me as well with my MBP. Just make sure you cover the light sensor for a few seconds and problem is solved. for the moment at least...:p

5. rhyx macrumors 6502

That screenshot is when the light sensor detects enough light.

6. hodgeheg macrumors regular

Completely normal for Rev B. Air. No idea about Rev. A.

If you hold your hand between the light source and the sensor (near the isight camera - I forget which side it's on) you'll be able to increase/decrease the brightness. You can also this off completely in system preferences:keyboard.

Older MacBook Pros had three buttons to control the lighting, an on/off and up/down brightness. Did the rev A MBA? - I don't know.

However there is a piece of software called LabTick that enables you (for MBPs and PowerBook G4s, I don't know about Airs but it's worth a look) to manually turn the backlighting on regardless of light conditions, however I did have some weird behaviour on occasion with it - but I've only ever used it on a G4 15" and not recently.

P.S. No idea whether it's a good idea or not!

7. andreab35 macrumors 6502a

andreab35

Yep I've gotten the same thing as you sometimes.
    To do the trick, I just cover the light sensor for a couple of seconds and then I can brighten the keyboard.

8. will0407 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. rhyx macrumors 6502

It is rare to want the backlight on during the day, but at times it has made keys easier to read.