Backlit Keyboard!QUERY...Does it really work as described...???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rohit6060, Apr 16, 2011.

1. rohit6060 macrumors member

Hi guys,
    I m a first time mac user,bought my base model 13" just 2 weeks ago.Just as every1 else I was quite anxious to use the mac os and its cool features.Its been a really good experience except this backlit keyboard...
    What I found was that it does behave with light but it behaves OPPOSITE then it should.Ideally it should get OFF when in sufficient light and should glow in low light conditions.What I've noticed is that it glows even brighter when brought to light and it decreases when it dark,in short the backlit is behaving just as the display,where in actually it should be opposite.I want it to be OFF even when there is little bit of light and it should glow at min. level when in complete dark,I guess thats the best settings possible...
    What do u guys feel..
    Any suggestions???
    I m amazed how u guys deal with it still appreciating it...
    Just to mention there is no problem with my sensor as my display responds perfectly fine...

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

When you're in a dark setting you want the keyboard light and the display to be dim, otherwise they would strain your eyes from the high contrast of the screen and room lighting.

When you're out in the sun the screen will be much brighter to compensate for glare. Although when I'm in a room with any light there's not much reason for the keyboard light.

I'm a pretty good touch typist, so I don't really like to have the backlight on even in the dark. Unless I am just poking at keys every once in a while, so that my hands aren't constantly in typing position, even then I don't ever have the keyboard light on higher than the dimmest setting.

Also: what the heck does this sentence mean?

3. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

I heard a lot about this backlit keyboard before going for a mac.But it feels it has to be done MANUALLY....the automatic feature just doesn't work the way it should..
    And I'll be really happy if people could help me fix it up.I've tried a couple of 3rd party softwares as well,but nthng works...

4. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I explained how it's supposed to work. You simply believe that it's not working right when it is. If you don't like the way it auto adjusts then do it manually. It's really not difficult.

6. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

This is the way it is supposed to work:

In dark:
    screen:dim
    keyboard:dim

In well lit condition:
    screen:bright
    keyboard:OFF(This OFF is what doesn't happen,instead it glows even brighter just like the display,why does any1 need backlit in well lit condition?
    Got my concern?

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I agree, but Apple thinks it looks fancy that you can see the keyboard glowing. It's a little self promotion.

8. braindead5400 macrumors regular

Mine seems to get brighter to match the increasing ambient light but it also easily reaches a point where the keyboard lights shut off. I can't even manually activate them at that point.

Are you sure you aren't trying it in a room that's still too dark? Where I'm sitting now it's decently lit from ambient light filtering in through the windows and my keyboard backlight is on. I'd need to open the blinds or something for it to actually shut off the keyboard.

9. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

gr8,
    but i couldnt find many people complaining abt ths..:confused:
    anyways,any 3rd party software to make it behave the right way...?

10. snaky69 macrumors 603

The keyboard works correctly. It remembers what setting you last used when you last had the same lighting conditions.

What you COULD do is have it at a light level where you feel you should have it turn OFF, and turn it off manually, it should then turn off at that level and turn on when it gets darker.

I don't see what your problem is, really.

11. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

If you turn off the backlit manually then even the automatic feature goes off.You can try this out yourself...
    If you make any adjustment manually,they'll will automatically go to default once you restart your system...
    Read my last post,you'll get my problem more clearly...

12. Gaura Mohana macrumors regular

you know hindi right?
    Tera room me light kum hoga.
    In my MBP the light is always on for one reason - the light is not enough to warrant the light being turned off.
    If you want to test the light - point a White torch (i pointed a nokia mobile torch) a little left to the camera. If the light on the keyboard does not turn off then, reply, and i'll help you
    i know my light is working, as in the apple store in hongkong, the keyboard light was off- they had very strong lighting

13. rohit6060 thread starter macrumors member

Tried it,and yes it went off,but that quite a lot of light to switch it off...Can't we bring this "triggering level"down to normal room lights level?
    And yes I know hindi very well:)